Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Bilt Super Bronco - Blades Rotate VERY Slow in Lower Height Adjustment

TX

05-20-15, 07:07 AM   #1  
Troy Bilt Super Bronco - Blades Rotate VERY Slow in Lower Height Adjustment

Good Afternoon!

I just bought a used Troy Bilt Super Bronco riding mower (Model# - 13AT609G766) from someone online for $300.

The first problem I ran into was that it wouldn't drive forward or in reverse. I found a spring that wasn't attached properly from the Idler Pulley to the deck. But now that I have that fixed, when I engage the blades they turn ok when in the higher height setting ... but when I lower the deck to 4 they start to slow down. At 3, they slow down even more. At 2 and 1 they barely rotate at all.

I can see that when in the lower settings the belt just does not have the proper tension on it, when in the highest height setting it does though. My 1st thought was a spring not keeping tension on the pulley/belt like I had with the 1st problem I had but all springs seem to be in place.

The seller said that all belts had been replaced last season ... do I just have a worn out belt or an incorrect belt here? I've looked at the belt and it doesn't seem to have a number or anything on it for cross referencing purposes.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-15, 10:28 AM   #2  
That model commonly has that problem. Often the problem is caused by the blade brake arm being rusted and not moving fully. There should be a small cable that pulls on it and the other end is connected to the tensioner arm, so if the brake arm can't move, then the tensioner arm for the belt can't move all the way either. That keeps the primary mower belt from tightening fully. This is assuming your belt is okay. If the belt is thin or incorrect, it will cause this problem too.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

05-20-15, 12:19 PM   #3  
Hmm, everything seems to be moving properly ... took the belt off this time to fully inspect it for a part number and there is no number, not even where it looks like a number has been rubbed off. I'm wondering if this is an incorrect belt. The guy I bought this from did state that he had all belts replaced last season ... may have replaced it with an incorrect belt or aftermarket belt.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-15, 03:11 PM   #4  
That's possible. The belt number should be listed on a sticker stuck to the underside of the hood. Can you see the actual brake arm moving away from the blade pulley?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

05-20-15, 04:17 PM   #5  
Yea the brake arm is for sure moving away from the pulley ... and there is no sticker under the hood for belt numbers. Man I thought I was getting a decent deal on this thing lol

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-20-15, 04:49 PM   #6  
I would venture the belt being incorrect. MTD is pretty good about having a number on their belts and they do not like any substitute or aftermarket belts. Least I have never found one that would work as it was supposed to.

TX

05-20-15, 05:13 PM   #7  
Well I will replace the belt with a correct one and see if this resolves my issue!

Appreciate all the help and I will report back once I install the correct belt with if it fixed it or not

04-18-16, 12:42 PM   #8  
Had same problem.Evaluated all possible problems,everything working as should.
Solved problem by purchasing a belt that was 2 " shorter then the stock belt.
Problem solved!!!!

Search this Thread