Problems with troy bilt pony riding mower

Old 05-21-15, 06:44 AM
Problems with troy bilt pony riding mower

i went to start it yesterday and it gave about a turn and a half then stopped after a few more tries it would turn half one time then next nothing, i cleaned all terminals, put a volt meter on battery and it was reading 12.5 when i put the meter on the starter terminal and cranked was only reading 1.6, it was getting dark so when i tried to crank last time i got a fast clicking sound at rear of mower which im assuming is the solenoid. any direction would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-15, 07:16 AM
Sounds like the battery is going south . . . . how old is it ?

Is the battery serviceable . . . . meaning can you add distilled water to the cells ?

Do you have a trickle charger ?

Old 05-21-15, 07:32 AM
i have a trickle charger as well a battery maintainer so even if the battery shows 12.5 volts it can still be bad? sorry about the stupid question it is the original battery id say 5 years old and i dont recall it having an option to add water ... can look when i get home

Old 05-21-15, 09:12 AM
I guess I would also check your connections from the Battery to Solenoid (which seems OK; but just clicking isn't a total reprieve) and from the Solenoid to the Starter, and also the Ground cable from the Battery to the frame.

But I'm thinking that your Battery is, for whatever reason, losing it's cranking capacity, despite the voltage reading. We just had a discussion last week about what people have been experiencing for lawnmower battery life expectancy, and I gather that 5 years is at the high end for most people.

And the Alternator may be failing to keep it charged . . . . but that's a long shot.

Old 05-21-15, 09:20 AM
thank you for taking the time to answer me that gives me some direction, i will let you know what i find

Old 05-21-15, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the voltage at the battery while cranking? The battery can show 12 volts at rest but when you load it the voltage should not drop that low. That's indicative of a dead cell. The fast clicking is low voltage at the solenoid, I think your battery is bad or you have bad connections. It's one or the other.

Old 05-21-15, 12:02 PM
cheese, i only checked the volts at starter when cranking which was 1.6 i guess i should have checked battery at cranking ill try that tonight

Old 06-01-15, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys it was the battery