Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pressure washer extension wand not drawing soap solution...

NC

05-25-15, 12:51 PM   #1  
Pressure washer extension wand not drawing soap solution...

I bought a new pressure washer the other day and used it for the first time today. The built-in soap dispenser works fine with the wand that comes with the unit, as well as the ~5' extension I bought (that attaches directly to the gun).

I also bought a telescoping wand (see link below) that ranges from 6' to 18'.

General Pump Telescoping Pressure Washer Wand 4000 PSI, Fiberglass/Aluminum, 6ft. to 18ft. Length, Model# DLTG18 | Pressure Washer Telescoping Wands| Northern Tool + Equipment

The problem is that although water comes out just fine out of this telescoping wand, it will not draw any solution out of the soap tank (and I AM using the lower pressure black nozzle). I'm starting to wonder if there's just too much tubing to go through to create the suction needed, which defeats the whole purpose of this 18' wand.

Should a telescoping wand this length be able to suck soap out of "soap tank" built into a pressure washer? The pressure washer is this model:

FREE SHIPPING Powerhorse Pressure Washer 2.5 GPM, 3,000 PSI, EPA and CARB-Compliant, Model# 87035 | Gas-Cold Water Pressure Washers| Northern Tool + Equipment

I plan on calling tech support tomorrow, but thought I'd toss this out here in the forum for now.

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links

WA

05-25-15, 01:09 PM   #2  
The "soap sucker" for wont of a better term does work on a pressure differential principle and it is highly likely it won't work with that long of an extension. Having an extension with a larger inside diameter may work but I don't know if they make such extensions or how heavy it would be.

NC

05-25-15, 01:40 PM   #3  
Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a telescoping pole then, doesn't it? If it can't suck the soap and allow me to spray soap on high areas of the house, it's not of much use

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-25-15, 02:21 PM   #4  
I never use the soap/siphon feature as I believe you get better control of the cleaning agent using a separate pump up garden sprayer to apply the cleaner. I also don't care for the telescoping wands because they are too difficult to control under pressure.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

05-25-15, 02:27 PM   #5  
Sure it is, you just need a different method of injecting the soap, or as I suspect, detergent. How that may be accomplished depends on several factors.

And, I agree with Mark on both counts.

Group Moderator

NC

05-25-15, 02:46 PM   #6  
I use a pump sprayer and apply cleaner and give it a few minutes to work before following with the pressure washer. I was initially bummed that I could not do it in one pass with my pressure washer injecting the cleaner automatically but I think the results are better doing it separately. The soap can be applied to a much higher concentration then blasted away and diluted with the pressure washer.

I too do not like extension wands. I will go to a ladder or some other method to get me higher before putting on the extension wand.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-25-15, 04:29 PM   #7  
I pretty much agree with all the replies. A 1qt or 1gl garden sprayer used with the solution of your choice, after doing a pre rinse of the area to be cleaned to knock off the dust and loose stuff. Hit it with the sprayer, let it run down and soak in a bit, then hit with the pressure.
Also soap can be hard on orings and gaskets that might be affected in using the dispenser. Once the water evaporates, the soap dries and will suck the life out of anything rubber.

NC

05-25-15, 05:06 PM   #8  
I understand what all of you are saying, but that means lugging around an extension ladder, which adds a lot more time (and work) to the job. It's more work than I want to do. I bought the telescoping wand to avoid having to get up on a ladder.

I'm hoping it's just a defective wand and I'll be able to use it. I agree with those who say it's heavy. It IS, even with a belt designed to help support it. And it's unwieldy when fully extended, but I still prefer that to lugging around a ladder

I'll let you know what the manufacturer says.

Thanks for the feedback.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-26-15, 03:51 AM   #9  
To each his own but IMO it's easier to move a ladder than fight that telescoping want, it's bad enough just by itself but when you pull the trigger

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NJ

05-26-15, 06:49 AM   #10  
Using your washer with the black tip on a standard wand should be able to reach 20' or so.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread