Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starter and/or Starter Solenoid for John Deere Riding Mower

IN

06-04-15, 10:54 PM   #1  
Starter and/or Starter Solenoid for John Deere Riding Mower

My John Deere riding mower would not start, not even a click sound. The battery is fully charged. So, I bypassed the solenoid by touching a screwdriver across the 2 larger posts on the solenoid. The mower started. I assumed the solenoid was no good.

My new solenoid arrived today. I installed the new solenoid and proceeded to reattach the negative side of the battery. As I touched the negative cable to the battery, something started to turn, or move. I don't know if the solenoid was engaging or what. I didn't maintain the connection as it arched as if it was shorting. The ignition key wasn't even turned on. What could be causing this to happen?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-15, 12:52 AM   #2  
You have something connected wrong. My guess is that the starter wire and positive cable are touching. Your procedure to test the solenoid was incorrect... it doesn't tell you if the solenoid is bad or not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

06-05-15, 06:00 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. Just so there's no mistake about what I'm trying to convey below, here's a link to how I tested the solenoid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Wogm_VQDs. Maybe I do have something hooked up wrong, but mine only has 3 wires and it looks pretty obvious where they go. Actually, there are only 2 wire that could be interchanged by mistake because the 3rd slips on to its connecting point rather than screws/bolts on. At around 3:30 this guy jumps across the 2 "nuts" avoiding the solenoid altogether. I'll take a look at the wiring again. Thank you

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

06-05-15, 08:20 AM   #4  
I did not see, in the video, where he tested for current from the ignition switch - in the start position.That would be step one. If there is power to the solenoid when the switch is in the start position, the solenoid may be bad. If no power, check the switch and feeds to the switch.

Note: the ignition in the on position tells you nothing. It must be turned to the start position.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

IN

06-05-15, 09:32 AM   #5  
I'm picking up a multi-meter/continuity tester today so I can check. Thanks for the response.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-15, 09:59 AM   #6  
Jumping the solenoid like that bypasses the ignition switch, all the safety switches, The solenoid itself, the fuse, and the entire wiring harness. So, if you have a problem in any of that, the engine will crank anyway when you jump the solenoid and it won't give you any idea what is actually wrong.

On your current problem (no pun intended), if you tightened the nuts too tight on the posts of the solenoid, the inside contacts will twist in the plastic housing and can possibly touch inside, shorting the solenoid the same way you did. That would cause it to begin cranking as soon as you connect the battery.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

06-05-15, 11:01 AM   #7  
Thank you both for you responses. I'll be back out in the garage this evening applying my new knowledge.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-05-15, 05:11 PM   #8  
What that test does show is that you are getting current from the battery to the starter and that the starter is good.
As mentioned the problem likely lies in the solenoid either being bad or not getting power to engage when the key is turned to the start position.
One way to test the solenoid and starter, use a jumper wire from positive side of the batter to the small terminal on the solenoid. If the engine cranks then the solenoid is not the problem rather, key switch and possibly as safety switch or short/open or some such in the wiring.

Search this Thread