Craftsman Riding mower won't move when I shift into gear.

Old 06-07-15, 06:33 PM
Unhappy Craftsman Riding mower won't move when I shift into gear.

I have an older (early to mid 90s is my guess) Craftsman 15 hp 42 inch cut riding mower. I was mowing with it on the side of a slope when I stopped and it wouldn't move. I have no idea what it may be. I pulled it in to the garage and looked it over and the only thing I noticed was that where the transmission is it looks as though their are 2 tabs that help hold/brace the transmission that are both broke. The support tabs are bolted to the frame and extend to the transmission. They are both broke. This may have already been this way and I never noticed. I have no owner's manual for this as I bought it used last year. Thanks in advance for any help as it is greatly appreciated. Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-15, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With those braces broken, the transmission can and will tilt when the belt pulls on the input pulley. This mis-aligns the pulley with the belt and causes the belt to jump off the transmission pulley.

Old 06-09-15, 03:29 PM
Thanks Cheese! I believe what you said is exactly what happened. I jacked up the tractor to look it over and found the drive belt had come off. I put it back on and it now moves like it should. Now I need to weld those braces. Thanks for the reply as it is greatly appreciated! Jack