Briggs & Stratton flywheel removal

Old 06-17-15, 01:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Briggs & Stratton flywheel removal

190000 series engine
Anyone removed flywheel from this series?
It requires a special tool, states on it not to use puller.
Since I have a one-time use, I’m curious what I could rig up to do this and avoid buying another tool.

Old 06-17-15, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
This is the kind of puller you will probably want. I assume it has holes in the top of the flywheel for this type of puller?

Old 06-17-15, 03:17 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I have been working on small engines since my early teens, and still a novice because I have never attended a class on them, nor have I kept good notes, and consequently know off the top of my head what a 19000 series is, so take this only for what it is worth. I would look at the threaded holes in the flywheel, and if they are threaded all the way through, and if the threads were in good enough shape, and if I found two opposing places on the crankcase that I was comfortable enough to press against, I would try threading bolts into the holes, and pressing it off that way. Downsides are that the threads need to be in decent shape so that the bolts turn freely enough, and you could ruin the crankcase if it were to break (has not happened to me so far), so you need to approach it with a necessary level of caution. Otherwise, you may need to purchase the appropriate what I call steering wheel puller.

Old 06-17-15, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using a crowbar, slide it under the flywheel as close to the shaft as you can get it. You should be able to raise the flywheel slightly.Thread the nut onto the shaft so you have a few threads of the nut left above the end of the shaft. Use a big hammer, I use a 3lb, and give the nut a good smack while holding pressure on the crowbar. It should pop right off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: