Standby Generator problem

Old 06-20-15, 12:36 PM
Standby Generator problem

I have a Briggs & Stratton model 1815 standby. Runs erratic(lights dim like rpm is varying. Tech. said I needed the gas meter upgraded. Gas co. did upgrade, did not solve. Could it be the gas regulator inside generator?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-15, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would tend to agree with your thoughts, but I am not very experienced with natural gas or propane powered engine controls.

Old 06-20-15, 11:30 PM
Group Moderator
Not an expert but is your gas line large enough?

Old 06-21-15, 09:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello nguillory and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Don't know how else to say it but your post lacks details and needed specifics.... Want to advise you with a diagnosis but unable to at this point. A few questions need to be asked and answers known. Kindly provide.

Is this a brand new installed gen set? (YES or NO?)
If yes then installer needs to return and set it up so it runs correctly.
If no, meaning generator was at one time in the past running correctly and properly and now isn't, likely a part or component is not functioning correctly. Many possible and or potential problems.

One might be the engines speed governor. Engine should be at idle when there is no load. Some generators do not idle with no load while some due. Needs to be know which type it is. Then speed up when load sensor senses a load.

If engine idles well but cannot speedup under a load, several possibilities can cause problems. Lack of sufficient gas from meter, carburation, load sensor, engine tune and or problems caused by lack of usage for long time durations, etc. etc.

Help us help you. Kindly provide plenty of details and specifics so we all can provide advice and specific potential causes and the solutions.

Old 06-22-15, 03:55 AM
An automatic standby generator usually has a solid state voltage control. The engine will always run at one speed to produce 60 Hz.

My 7 Kw standby generator did develop a problem like yours. It turned out when the generator was assembled, they installed it incorrectly to the engine and it "ate" the insulation off the wires inside the generator. Luckily that repair was covered under warranty.

Old 06-22-15, 03:02 PM
Standby generator

I have had this generator for about 8 years and it was OK until about 2 years ago. I did neglect getting it serviced. The gas line is sufficient. I called the service co. and the tech will call me tomorrow. I will advise the outcome that might help others. Thanks