Lawn-Boy 6.5 HP Mower - Runs for 5 seconds then dies

Old 06-26-15, 07:56 AM
Lawn-Boy 6.5 HP Mower - Runs for 5 seconds then dies

My girlfriend has an older (6 years I want to say) lawn-boy 6.5 HP self-propelled lawnmower. It was running fine last time I mowed, but yesterday it started having issues.

I started it up, and it was idling rough. It would fluctuate between sounding smooth, then the RPM would drop. Rinse and repeat. I started mowing, and it sounded a bit better, and occasionally the RPMs would drop. Then it died. Now if I start it, it starts up, then over the course of about 5 seconds the RPMs slowly go down until it cuts out. I cannot get it to run.

I haven't done much with it yet, as I don't know much about small engines, but I've always been able to follow directions and fix things properly.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 09:29 AM
Post the model number for the mower and engine if you can find it so we can see what engine it has, a passage in the carb is blocked. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-26-15, 10:01 AM
Sorry, it is 6.5 ft-lbs of torque. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 124T05-0216-B1

Old 06-26-15, 10:01 AM
On most mowers, I would be thinking carburetor. On a Lawnboy, I would first be thinking muffler. I know that this was required maintenance in the past, but like quite a number of years past since I remember messing with one, and I have not looked at any new ones for a long time, so don't know if it may be relevant or not. So I would check the manual, and see what it says in this regard. If you don't have one, you can probably download it from their site.

Old 06-26-15, 10:08 AM
Thank you. I am positive it was serviced last year, but I'm unsure what was done. I'll have to look at the manual. My first thought was carb as well. Problem is I've checked the mower up and down, and haven't been able to find to find a model number, just the model of the engine.

Old 06-26-15, 12:21 PM
Yes its the carb it needs to be cleaned, however you might get lucky. The nut that holds the carb bowl on is the main jet, it has a hole down the center and one across the bottom, it gets clogged with junk. Clamp off the fuel line and carefully remove the bolt, clean the holes and re-insert, that should fix it. If it doesn't then you will probably need to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Refer to the pic below for the holes I mentioned. Have a good one. Geo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52507[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-15, 01:58 PM
Cool. Thank you for the picture. All fixed (for now).

I really appreciate the time you took to help me.

Old 06-26-15, 04:02 PM
Success is a wonderful sound. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread