17hp Briggs and Stratton ride on mower engine smoking problem. PLEASE HELP

Old 06-26-15, 09:40 AM
17hp Briggs and Stratton ride on mower engine smoking problem. PLEASE HELP

I overfilled the mower with oil approx 6 weeks ago and I did an hour’s cut with too much oil in system. At intervals it billowed white smoke - I ignored it thinking it would just burn of the excess oil.

The following week I drained all the old oil out and did an oil change and drained the air filter pipe which had a fair amount of oil in it. The paper cartridge air filter was fine. It then ran ok without smoking. When i checked the oil after the cut I discovered that the oil level was quite low.

The following week I carefully filled the oil up to the top. At intervals it billowed white smoke. I drained some oil of and continued with the cut. It smoked a lot less.

The next couple of weeks I did further cuts with the oil level low. It ran okay and only smoked when the engine was under stress or after cutting on angled terrain.

I spoke to a mower repair expert. He indicated that excess oil in the pipes would take time to burn off and would sometimes make vacuums drawing up more oil - but it should be fine in a few weeks.

This week I topped the oil up to mid-low. It ran fine for 25 mins then began smoking intermittently when the engine was under stress or when I was cutting on an angle.

Because the smoke happens when:
1. the oil levels are mid/ high
2. when the engine is hot and the oil fluid
3. when I am cutting at an angle or after a speedy turn when I think the natural change in momentum causes the oil to go where it shouldn’t

I think there must be a problem with the seals/ rings?!

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wow, the mower repair guy is not an expert if he told you that.

You have a blown head gasket.