Blade Clutch drive Belt ? Snapper Yard Crusier

Old 07-03-15, 10:09 AM
Blade Clutch drive Belt ? Snapper Yard Crusier

This is a Snapper HZ15420KVE.

I working in a dark area plus i don't see as well as I used to. But I can't find a idler pulley or adjustment, that will relieve the pressure to let me remove the clutch drive belt.

I've looked on line. But not found any help. To be clear. I'm not talking about the belt from the clutch to the blades. But the belt from the engine shaft pulley,(PTO) I think is what they call it.) To the blade clutch. If anyone knows of link to a illustration. Or want to try to talk me through it. Either would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-15, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Do either of these diagrams help? The diagrams came from ereplacementparts.com by searching for "Snapper HZ15420KVE". The second diagram has two pulleys (25, 32) are listed as idlers.

Old 07-03-15, 11:04 AM
FWIW, on my John Deere walk behind mower, you have to remove the engine mounting bolts and slide the engine over to get enough slop to remove the belt from the engine to the transmission. Kind of a pain, but I've only had to do it once in the 10+ years I've owned it. Maybe that would work for you.

Old 07-03-15, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. Dane, mine looks like the 1st diagram. #25 in the 2nd diagram is the idler for the pump that drives the axial s. I've already removed it. It was a piece ah cake.

Now, if i could just locate part 32 and part 28 on my mower. 2nd diagram. I would be hitting. However, what I'm seeing is just what diagram 1 shows. Still open to ideas. Could Carbid Tipp's idea be my only option?

Old 07-03-15, 08:57 PM
Well I figured it out. Engine removed. The pulley's on the engine shaft are seized. So I removed the thin plate the engine sits on. It was bear of a job for and old guy with noting but a socket set and a crowbar..If the pulleys would have slid off. It would not have been to bad at all. Do you guys remove the fenders? I didn't, but it would have made it easier to remove the throttle linkage and tail pipe shield. I'm just learning as I go.

AS for removing the engine shaft pulleys. I'm open to ideas for removing them without damage. I have a gear puller my dad gave me. But these are so flimsy. I'm afraid they'll bend before they turn loose on the shaft. It was late when I finally got the engine out. So I haven't spent much time trying to remove them.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-04-15, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
I don't have a suggestion short of spraying them with penetrating oil and let it sit for a while before trying to pull them. Then just work carefully with the puller and maybe some light tapping with a hammer to help it break free.

Old 07-04-15, 06:48 AM
I second Pilot's suggestions. You might try gently heating just the pulley too, but if you use a torch, make sure there's no gas or other flammables near...(and do it outside!)

Old 07-04-15, 07:48 AM
I can feel your pain . . . . as I too had a Snapper (now Briggs) which had a cracking drive belt, and like Carbide, I found it easier to unbolt and lift the engine (a tad) to slip the new belt onto the drive pulley instead of removing either the drive pulley or the clutch pulley.

I guess it's a case of "if Mohammed won't go to the mountain, then the mountain will have to come to Mohammed" !

Or is it . . . . "there's more than one way to skin a cat" ?