Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy-Bilt generator with no output

NJ

07-07-15, 02:03 PM   #1  
Troy-Bilt generator with no output

My Troy-Bilt Generator 5550 Model 01919. I have had it for a number of years and never used it until just last week. It worked fine for almost two days. I was shutting it down every few hours to give it a rest. The last time I shut it of and restarted it, it suddenly I had no power output. It was measuring about 4.85 volts AC out. I called Troy-Bilt and they suggested the rectifiers. I have replaced them now and I still the same problem. The breakers don't seemed tripped. It doesn't make sense. it was working fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

NJ

07-12-15, 07:42 AM   #2  
Hi There must be somebody out there who can give me some direction on how to fix this thing.

Group Moderator

NJ

07-12-15, 08:49 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums.

Without a schematic or service manual all you're left with is parts swapping. I was not able to find any useful information about your Troy Bilt unit.

There is a voltage regulator that could be bad.
Did you check at the output of the windings for AC, before the breaker, for voltage ?

~ Pete ~

07-27-15, 06:00 PM   #4  
re exiting a generator

if you haven't used the generator in a long time, the residual field magnetism might be completely gone, preventing a voltage from building up.

you can try the following:

a. remove the brush holders to gain access to the brushes
b. start generator and run for a minute or so to let the engine stabilize
c. plug in something like a lightbulb as a load (it won't be lit)
d. connect the neg. lead of a 6 V lantern battery or even a 12 V car battery to the negative brush
e. briefly touch the pos. lead of battery to the positive brush
f. watch the lightbulb
if it lights, you've been successful, let it run with a good load for a while and check the voltage with a meter

if it doesn't light, try touching the positive brush a few more times

if still no output, the problem is elsewhere

good luck

Search this Thread