20hp Craftsman sputtering and backfiring thru intake

Old 07-09-15, 04:15 PM
20hp Craftsman sputtering and backfiring thru intake

My mower ran perfect until a friend asked me to mow their lawn, I mean it ran perfect until I attempted to mow some high grass (that should of been mowed with a shredder) and in some dusty conditions. Mower was strong but then it started sputtering and had a big loss of power. I loaded it up and brought it home to find that half the oil had been burned off. So I replaced the oil filter and oil, replaced the air filter and precleaner, cleaned the carb (to the best of my knowledge using lots of youtube videos) and no change. The spark plug is dry, a little dark maybe could use a change, and fuel lines were cleaned with carb cleaner. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a loss here and my yard is turning into a jungle.

https://youtu.be/je7wLjJuLYc <<----Here is a video of what it's doing. Please help somebody !!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-15, 09:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You ran it too low on oil and have internal damage. Open it up and see what went wrong. I think I hear knocking and I'm pretty sure you need a camshaft. Might be time for another engine.

Old 07-10-15, 10:36 AM
That's what I was afraid of, I have yet to check the head gasket and valve clearance, I'll update when I get these done later today

Old 07-10-15, 12:36 PM
https://youtu.be/51qsS1_fO2E and just removed the head, will post a pic in a bit

Old 07-10-15, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, you can see the top rocker arm barely opens the valve at all. The camshaft has a lobe wiped out.