Kohler Command SV740 27 HP

Old 07-09-15, 09:27 PM
Kohler Command SV740 27 HP

Hi everyone. Glad to be back but I have one question. I am working on a 27 HP Kohler SV740-0010 which is in a Cub Cadet. Well to get to the point the ring gear on the flywheel has come OFF. I haven't gotten the flywheel off yet but the ring gear is off and not sure why. Not sure if it is cracked or maybe it spun off because of a possible compression release problem. Has anyone else come across this problem on this kohler engine?? Is there a replacement ring gear or must the flywheel be replaced??

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-15, 09:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd pull the flywheel and have a closer look at the ring gear. I would guess it is cracked. If not, you may be able to put it back on, but it should never come off. I don't think it's available separately. I have taken one off a bad flywheel to put on a good one with a bad ring gear before.

Old 07-10-15, 05:47 AM
Thank You. I'll see if I have time to get it off today. I have replaced the ring gears before on Car flywheels but never a mower.

Old 07-10-15, 08:25 PM
Looked at the flywheel again today and sure enough it is broken. Just a thought, if I take if off which I have to, if it can be welded and then heated up to be put back on. I wonder if it would hold up. There is a used flywheel on e-bay for $75.00.

Old 07-10-15, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only time I have seen this problem was on a similar kohler engine and the ring gear was cracked and someone had welded it but it didn't hold, it broke again. I think your best bet is to replace it.

Old 07-11-15, 01:55 PM
I think you are right.