Kohler Courage 19 hp oil leaks

Old 07-24-15, 06:41 AM
Kohler Courage 19 hp oil leaks

I had oil leaking on the top of my Kohler Courage 19 in my Cab Cadet LT1042 (only 170 hours) . When I removed the plastic dressing cover I found the bolts backed off and one of them fell out of the top aluminum crankcase cover. I tightened all the bolts on the cover and cleaned up the oil. I washed it off then ran it for a little while trying to burn off the oil residue. I found a leak from a crack on the crankcase near the top RF corner of engine just below the cover area that I just put the bolts back in. I cleaned it up and epoxied it (nothing to loose by trying). It seems to have held ran it for 2 hours. Now, after sitting over night, I have oil leaking out the bottom of the engine and pooling on the pulley. I have not looked under there yet (just saw it last night) but wondered if there is a crank seal that could be my problem? If so do I need to pull the engine out to replace it? It was not leaking before I fixed the crack so is there something else going on, like high crankcase pressure, that I should be looking at?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-15, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usualy if it's pooling on the pulley, it's because of the lower crankshaft seal. Make sure your oil isn't contaminated with gas.

Old 07-27-15, 08:05 AM
Drive Pulley?

I pulled the engine out to replace the crankshaft seal, but the drive pulley will not budge off the shaft. Apparently this is not that uncommon but I am not sure how to get it off? I do not have a press available to me or I would press it off. The pulley seems to be rather soft so I suspect that a jaw puller would destroy it (replacing it anyway) but not confident it would come off that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-15, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume you got the bolt out of the crankshaft just fine. I usually use an impact hammer to get the pulley off the shaft. If you don't have one stop by a mechanic shop and ask a mechanic if he can use to to bump it off.