Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle 128LD 17-in Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer

TX

07-25-15, 02:13 PM   #1  
Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle 128LD 17-in Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer

I am considering purchasing this string trimmer but wanted to get opinions on it before I make the purchase. I am planning on purchasing from Lowes as I have a gift card.

I have had other cheap trimmers that don't last or are just plain junk. I am ready to move up to a better trimmer and have read mostly good reviews on this one.

Should I purchase a two year extended warranty for $24.95?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

07-25-15, 03:49 PM   #2  
At around $150 I'd have to say you are still getting consumer quality and not a commercial tool. I think most important is how you treat it. A inexpensive consumer trimmer and expensive commercial model can both be stopped by improper oil (or no oil) mix, dirty or old fuel. Just read this forum and you'll find many people that had a tool that ran fine last season but won't start after winter. Running fresh, clean fuel through it will do a lot to keep it running well. Then make sure you get all the fuel out of it before putting it away for winter and you and your trimmer will be much happier. And for extra protection use stabilized fuel toward the end of the season so any fuel left in the carburetor hopefully will not make varnish.

As for the warranty. I personally never go for them. You'll have to crunch the numbers and read the fine print to see if it's a good decision for you. What does the warranty exclude? Are there any deductibles or fees? What is covered and what is not?

VA

07-26-15, 06:51 AM   #3  
I'd pass on A Husqvarna.
Reason being is they used to be a good brand, just bought a brand new gas hedge trimmer.
Would not run right from day one, had to order a special tool to adjust the carb.
Get it running and it will not run if it was tilted on it's side.
Look in the fuel tank and the intake line and filter had broken off.
I pull it out and the fuel line had turned to mush.
It's not like this was a tool that had ethenal fuel sitting in the tank for years, it was brand new.
I only buy Stihl power tools normaly.
My FS90 trimmer has been in daily use doing about 13 yards a week and still starts almost every time first or second pull.
My pole saw with the same engine starts first pull every time.
Best part only dealers can sell Stihi brand tools.
Need a part or service and I know right where to go.

Search this Thread