Mower kill wire is KILLING ME

Old 07-26-15, 09:41 AM
Mower kill wire is KILLING ME

I have a Craftsman riding mower and the kill wire is killing me! I get no spark when the black kill wire is attached. When I pull the kill wire, I get good blue spark.

I've verified that the reverse switch works, the clutch switch works, and the blade switch works (the mower won't turn over if these are not working). What in the world do I need to look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-15, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The "kill" wire works by shorting to ground to kill the engine.
Do you have an ohmmeter ? That makes it much easier to find a short.

You could have a pinch in the wire or a switch could be shorted. You can't tell by looking at them.
If you don't have a meter you can use a low voltage test light too.

Old 07-26-15, 10:26 AM
I pulled out the multimeter and tested the length of the black wire, which checked out OK. I'm no master at the multimeter - how should I be testing the switches? Thanks!!

Old 07-26-15, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Connect the meter to your kill wire and the mower frame. If there is a short shown then the mower won't start. Operate or temporarily disconnect each safety switch..... one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

If you were to post a Craftsman model number I might be able to locate the wiring diagram.
It will look like XXX.XXXXXXXXXXX

Old 07-26-15, 10:50 AM
Here's what I did: connected one lead to the unhooked kill switch and touched the frame with the other. It read 0 ohms. Does that mean that the wire is grounding the ignition, thereby not allowing spark? I pulled the blade switch and depressed the switch; ohms changed from 0 to infinity, depending on the side tested. Other switches all changes when depressed, too.

She's a Craftsman 536.270301

Old 07-26-15, 10:52 AM
Just for testing; disconnect seat switch plug and jumper wire it. Then test for spark. When seat switch is not activated the coil wire is shorted.
Reconnect switch after test.

RR

Old 07-26-15, 11:18 AM
Jumped the seat switch; still no spark when kill wire is attached and strong spark when kill is unattached.

Old 07-26-15, 05:20 PM
Try reattaching the seat switch wire harness and force the seat plunger into the socket a couple of times, then hold it in as far as it will go. Test your kill wire with the plunger in that position.

Old 07-26-15, 09:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this has a single cylinder briggs, check to be sure the kill wire isn't pinched behind the starter. (did you have the starter off recently?)