173 CC Powermore Engine Lawnmower will not keep running

Old 07-29-15, 07:01 AM
173 CC Powermore Engine Lawnmower will not keep running

Hi,

I have a 173cc Powermore lawnmower. I can start the mower no problem on full choke. I can then open choke and allow full air flow. The mower dies as soon as it starts. I can keep it running by manually keep with throttle wide open. Although at a lower rpm. If I continue to open and close throttle manually, I can keep it runnnig until it runs perfect, then dies again. I can continue this and keep it running at low and then high rpm.

I have done the follwing on it.

1) brand new carb
2) new oil
3) new spark plug
4) unplugged the ground wire to coil to eliminate a grounding issue.

I also noticed on this almost new mower that the valve cover bolts (4) were too loose and the mower was leaking some oil from the cover. I tightened all of these bolts down to fix this.

I am at wits end with this mower. I have sen one like this before so this must be a common problem i just cannot seem to find.

Has anyone run a cross this with these mowers?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-15, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like a carburetor problem. I would make sure you are using a clean fuel can and new fuel. You may need to clean out the fuel tank as dirt in there may have plugged an orifice or jet in the new carb. It's also possible that the new carburetor needs adjusting.

Old 07-29-15, 08:45 AM
i thought about the fuel in the tank. Ill clean it right out and blow it out and put new fuel.

Not sure where these carbs need to be set or adjusted. The only place to do any kinds of setting is under a plug on these carbs. Usually, they are adjustted from factory and dont require any adjustments.

Old 07-29-15, 09:29 AM
OK, there is only one jet from the outside. It is not even adjustable. I cleaned out the tank and the small filter at the outlet from the tank. Put in fresh gas. Exact same result.

i cant see dirt getting into the new carb ad there is a filter at the outlet from the gas tank. fuel flow is good from the tank.

Any other suggestions.

I can fix a tecumseh, briggs, just have the toughest time with rthe powermore engines.

Stsrts everytime, dies, if I push the governer and hold it so we have wide open throttle, will ruin very low. I release te gioverneor after a few seconds, runs great for about 5 seconds, then dies. Keeps doing same over and over again.

Help!

Old 07-30-15, 01:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure sounds like carb. Have you checked valve clearances?

Old 08-03-15, 06:25 AM
cheese, do you know if there is a manual on how to check the valve clearances for these motors?

Old 08-03-15, 08:29 AM
Another possibility is loose carb/manifold bolts causing an air leak. When you get it running spray some WD40 or something similar around that area to see if the rpms change = leakage.

Old 08-04-15, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have a manual for these Chinese engines. Checking clearances should be the same as any other.

Search this Thread