Craftsman pressure washer- engine runs but no pressure

Old 07-30-15, 10:00 AM
Craftsman pressure washer- engine runs but no pressure

2550 PSI pressure washer, model# 580.752050. Last used it early in 2014 season, noticed a water leak underneath. Started it up last night to pinpoint the leak to see if I could replace or fix faulty fitting. motor started, but washer not working. a lot of water was actually leaking out of the hose fitting, almost seemed as if the hose was clogged. Last time I used machine it was working fine, just leaking water. Not sure where to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-15, 10:09 AM
Any chance that it was someplace cold enough to freeze over the winter? Doesn't need to be sustained cold; one night will do it. There is a freeze plug on them for this purpose, and, as I recall, on mine anyway, it is right near the fitting you mentioned.

Old 07-30-15, 11:12 AM
In the shed all winter, definitely freezing out there! I don't think I ever opened the drain plug, thought all the water drained out when I disconnected hose. Guess I should have read the storage instructions in the manual? So I will look for freeze plug. and then?

Old 07-30-15, 11:56 AM
Well darn, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, because I just looked at the parts breakdown for yours and didn't see what I was looking for. On mine, and a couple of others that I know of, because I have changed them for friends, there is what looks like just another bolt, not actually a plug as I first said, that has a hole in it so that the brass is not as thick in that area, and it is intended to fracture, breaking the head loose if the water inside freezes. So you replace that bolt and it should be good to go. And, as I recall those were fairly close to the hose connection. I guess that I would hook the water back up to it and see if you can tell for sure where it's coming from, and see if my description might make sense. Another thought that I just had though is that if it is indeed leaking around the hose itself, maybe your inlet screen is plugged. I would think that the O ring would keep it from leaking, but don't know for sure as we have well water, so I typically clean the screen when I put it away every fall.

Old 07-30-15, 12:26 PM
Use a process of elimination, start without hose hooked up, to see if water flows, hook up hose without wand, put on wand without tip, then with tip, somewhere along the process you should see what is not working. Fire it up without the hose attached to see if it pumps. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-13-16, 11:02 AM
Still haven't fixed pressure washer, taking another look as I now desperately need to PW my house and pool deck...I found in the parts diagram a "brass plug". cost is under $5, can this be the "freeze plug" mentioned above? Also completely removed hose and seems like no water is flowing into PW at all. most likely there was water somewhere in the pump over winter and it froze

Old 06-13-16, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water freezing in the pump can damage parts, not sure if it can be diagnosed/fixed without disassembly

I never knew about winterizing a pressure washer until reading it on these forums BUT I've never had any issues because I always disconnect the hose/wand and after everything is disconnected I pull 2-4 times on the rope to dispel any water left in the system. Been doing that for 40+ yrs and never had a freezing issue.

Old 07-04-16, 10:25 AM
Inlet & outlets seem ok, however, just disassembled the manifold and all kinds of gunk in there, will try to attach a pic. Not sure how to clean. I believe these are the check valves. Figure at a minimum I will need to replace the O-rings, as at least 1 was torn. Looks like there is a check valve kit, don't know if I need the whole kit or just the O-rings. Will also check unloader next, although not sure what I'm looking for!

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-16, 09:05 AM
I pulled the check valves out and cleaned them up good with a wire brush and water. cleaned the housing out as well, and sprayed valve cavity with WD40 (after pulling out O-rings) and it's been soaking since yesterday.

Manifold - pulled O-rings off and cleaned out well, also sprayed manifold cavity with WD40 and still soaking. Couldn't pull out the unloader, probably all gunked up inside, will try again tonight.

Check valves seemed like they were in good shape, as are all O-rings except 1. Where can I find a replacement o-ring for the manifold, or should I just buy the whole kit at this point (about $25 plus shipping at searsdirect.com and includes valves, O-rings and screws.)?

Old 07-05-16, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any hydraulic shop should have suitable O rings, a transmission shop might .

Old 07-09-16, 04:33 PM
Picked up O-ring at plumbing supply store for 50 cents, can't beat that. Took the rest of manifold apart and cleaned all ports and pressure relief valves. Lubed all o-rings and Reassembled. Started up and had water pressure!! After about 10-15 minutes engine shuts off. Almost as if it overheated. I did check oil level & seemed ok. After sitting 30 minutes, started up and back to work, but 15 minutes later it shut off again.

If the unloader is out of adjustment, can that cause this to happen? I wouldn't think so, but since I completely removed unloaded thought that could be part of problem.

Question on oil... When I was initially diagnosing & looking for a freeze plug I accidentally removed the oil plug in the pump, and some oil leaked out, maybe 1/2 quart. Is this the same oil reservoir for the engine? For some reason I thought this may be a separate reservoir only accessible via plug. Owners manual states to change oil by tipping unit over & draining out of fill tube. This is what lead me to believe the other plug on pump is a different reservoir, maybe for pump?

Although I thought the u it was water cooled, thought I remember reading to make sure water is connected and turned on before starting as the water cools engine.

Old 07-10-16, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The engine has engine oil and the pump has hydraulic oil, 2 separate systems.

Old 07-10-16, 10:47 AM
Any idea on the hydraulic fluid capacity? is it a good idea to drain whatever is left and use all fresh oil?

Old 07-10-16, 10:51 AM
Just read in owners manual that pump is pre lubricated and sealed from factory, requiring no additional lubrication for life of pump. However, since I inadvertently removed the plug and oil leaked out, needs to be refilled. Dont want to over or under fill.

Search this Thread