Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda gx240 clone seized after shutting off. Why?

CANADA

08-07-15, 07:25 PM   #1  
Honda gx240 clone seized after shutting off. Why?

I have a minibike with a Honda gx240 clone. Earlier on today when I tried to start it the cord would occasionally get yanked out of my hand, which now leads me to believe the flywheel key is sheared. However, now the engine is completely seized and you can't pull the cord more than a couple inches. It was running fine until I shut it off. I checked the cord to make sure it wasn't tangled or anything, and it wasn't. I also tried removing the spark plug and pulling the cord in case hydro locking was the issue, and the crankshaft still wouldn't turn. I am very inexperienced when it comes to small engines so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-15, 12:47 AM   #2  
Can you turn the crankshaft by hand (thinking maybe a problem in the pull start system)?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

08-08-15, 04:47 AM   #3  
Have you checked the oil level?

CANADA

08-08-15, 09:00 AM   #4  
I'm unable to turn the crankshaft by hand, and the oil level seems fine. Is it possible that a sheared flywheel key could be blocking something?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-15, 10:06 AM   #5  
No, it's not the flywheel key. You'll either have to try to break it free or take it apart and see what happened. If it has a ball bearing on the pto side like the Honda it cloned, it could be coming apart. That would be easy to fix and I've seen that lock one up before.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

08-08-15, 12:14 PM   #6  
Ok now I am able to turn the crankshaft by hand, but at a certain point it gets stuck and you have to really force it to turn it back the other way, and it feels like there might be something grating inside.

CANADA

08-08-15, 01:43 PM   #7  
Ok, I found the problem. There was a washer stuck inside, I took it out and now it works perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread