Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Older Briggs & Stratton

CAL

08-08-15, 08:13 AM   #1  
Older Briggs & Stratton

Hi, I have had a King o Lawn edger since almost new (1966) and it has aged a bit. The Briggs & Stratton 2 HP - 60100 runs great and has only visited the shop for routine tune ups in the past. I gave it an oil, plug & filter change last week myself and noticed the muffler was about at the end of its life. Looked simple so I ordered and received it but soon realized the odd shaped oval muffler with a 1/2 threaded pipe and large nut to lock it against the block would never unscrew past the tank-carb unit. I usually abstain from more then routine maintenance for fear of doing more damage then good. Is there a safe way to loosen the tank and carb set up enough to do this or will I possibly do damage? Thanks for any advice Dennis

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-15, 10:10 AM   #2  
You can take the bolts out and gently slide it away far enough to unscrew the muffler. Watch the rubber boot from the PCV tube, it will come off and at that age, I imagine it will break if it isn't cracked already.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CAL

08-09-15, 05:19 AM   #3  
Thanks will give it a try!

CAL

08-12-15, 08:42 AM   #4  
bolts

One last question and I have searched the net for a few days so I wouldn't have to ask. Can the tank & carb be removed as a unit? Looking at the carb it seems I only have access to the top bolt. Thanks againi

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-12-15, 08:54 AM   #5  
It should have slots for a flathead screwdriver. Usually you can sneak a long screwdriver in there to get it loose.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CAL

08-12-15, 11:25 AM   #6  
Thanks

Guess I will put the scalpel away and get out of my brain surgery mode! Its survived 50 years OK so I dont think I will do it any harm. Thanks for the input!
Dennis

Search this Thread