Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs engine, used twice, won't start

NE

08-10-15, 04:23 PM   #1  
Briggs engine, used twice, won't start

I hope there's someone here that can help! I bought a Briggs & Stratton power washer in spring 2014 and used it twice (yep, just twice) last year with no problems. I went to fire it up this spring and it doesn't want to start.

Here's what I've done:

Pulled the plug and checked for spark. There is one.

Checked to be sure the choke is working properly. It's one of these new-fangled automatic things, but it appears to be working.

Sprayed starter fluid into air intake. The motor will run for a second when I do this. That tells me the problem might be fuel supply. It also tells me that the pump is ok and not likely part of the problem, because when I do this and have the sprayer spraying, the water pressure goes up. I didn't winterize it, but it was in a heated garage.

Since the problem might be fuel supply, I swapped out the fuel (which was last year's), but that didn't help.

Working towards the engine, I then pulled the carb to check it out. It was clean, spare a few pieces of white plastic in the bottom of the bowl that looked like maybe they were manufacturing leftovers from the float. Otherwise the carb looked new. I blew out all the passages just for the heck of it and put it back together. That didn't help either.

So now I'm kind of stuck...I'm not great with small engines, but I haven't really had to do anything to them ever.

The engine model is a 121R 02 0111 F1, and the power washer model (if that matters) is 020554. It's a Briggs & Stratton brand power washer bought at Menards in May of 2014.

Thanks!
Gabe

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

08-10-15, 04:34 PM   #2  
There is a low oil safety. on some power washers. Make sure that the oil is at the top. However it really sounds like compression has been lost. Shoot a couple drops of oil, in the cylinder & crank the engine. That will bring back the compression, if the cylinder was gas washed. I would replace the spark plug anyway.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-10-15, 04:44 PM   #3  
If it runs with carb spray sprayed into it, then your carburetor is the issue. I think you overlooked something that the old gas left in it for months left behind.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

08-10-15, 05:09 PM   #4  
The bowl nut, main jet, is probably dirty. Check the pic below. Have a good one. Geo

NE

08-10-15, 05:56 PM   #5  
That was it. I ran a small wire into the hole at the end and it pushed some gunk into the bottom that I fished out. Fired right up! Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-10-15, 06:22 PM   #6  
The bowl nut, main jet, is probably dirty. Check the pic below. Have a good one. Geo
LOl! geo you should have a hit counter for that pic as many short threads as it has managed

MO

08-10-15, 06:51 PM   #7  
Success is a wonderful sound. Have a good one. Geo

VA

08-22-15, 07:21 AM   #8  
Any gas powered tool that gets little use like that needs to be allowed to run out of fuel when your done using it.
Adding some fuel stabilizer will also help.
Really need to be using nonethenal fuel, or at least an additive that counter acts the effects of it.

Search this Thread