Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford 850 tractor leaking liquid at gear shifter.

FL

08-14-15, 02:58 PM   #1  
Ford 850 tractor leaking liquid at gear shifter.

Noticed liquid that looks like chocolate milk coming out of a small cylinder right next to the gear shifter today. It is coming out at the bottom of the cylinder where it meets the tractor.

The mower deck thing has been real slow lifting over the past few months... could this have something to do with it?

Also, it seemed like i was having more trouble than usual getting the gear shifter into the gears today... not sure if any of this is related to the liquid.

Couple of pics:

http://i.imgur.com/lA1V6cW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GhAbf6x.jpg?1

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-14-15, 03:03 PM   #2  
That looks like water and oil mixed together. Do you store your tractor outside?

Check the oil level plug on the side of the transmission. I'm thinking a bunch of water got in the tranny and you need to change the gear oil.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

08-14-15, 03:57 PM   #3  
Yeah, it's definitely water in the oil, whether storing outside as Mark mentioned or accumulation of condensation over the years. If I remember right, the plug on the top of the tranny should have a dipstick on it, and it's quite likely that the moisture is taking up enough space to cause it to essentially overflow. It's a bit of a pain, primarily due to needing a large enough drain pan and the volume of old oil that you will have to get rid of, but it's time for a change. TSC has something like 10-12 gallon high side galvanized drain pans at reasonable prices, and a lot of them will take the old oil.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-14-15, 06:19 PM   #4  
Mine is a 640, so I realize there are some differences. It is water and oil, for sure. Where the water came from is the question. Check your hydrailics with the lift in the down position, so the reservoir will be fullest. Do you have a dipstick on the side?

FL

08-14-15, 09:44 PM   #5  
Thanks for the advice everyone.

This tractor has been stored under a shed for most of the time i have had it, however, for the past 2 or 3 weeks i had left it outside uncovered, and we had several heavy rains during that period. I assume that is where the water came from, since i have never seen this happen before.

I used the tractor for about 2 hours today and didnt notice anything wrong at first. After about 1.5 hours i started noticing that the spot where the gear shifter was looking wet, and i had never seen that before. At the 2 hour mark, i could clearly see the tan liquid bubbling up from that cylinder... so i dont know if the engine heat eventually made the water/oil mix boil up and out of that opening, or what.

I did check the dipstick, but it was dark and it either read no oil or completely full... because i couldn't really see an oil mark on it... i'll check it again tomorrow, but it *felt* like it was dry... so i dont know if maybe a bunch leaked out, or if it was low to begin with, or what.

Thanks again for the advice, i'll start looking into what i need to do to drain and refill the system (never done it before).

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-15-15, 03:47 AM   #6  
You might want to invest in whichever IT manual covers your tractor. I bought one a long time ago for my NAA and couldn't count the times it came in handy. There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the tranny. If I remember mine takes 2 gallons of oil .... or is that hydraulic sump ??? anyway the manual will state the amount of fluid needed.

Years ago my tractor had to stay outside and water often got into the transmission oil The rubber boot around the shift lever doesn't seal as well as it should

MI

08-15-15, 05:02 AM   #7  
Mark caused me to think that I might have a manual for that, so I just walked back from the shop, and he's right; 2 gallons for the 800 series. I had 4 gallons in my head, which was the reason I mentioned a larger drain container, but probably whatever you have will work, depending on how much extra water is in there.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-15-15, 05:20 AM   #8  
Not sure of the cost, but I bought a PDF Ford service manual which covers everything in the 1955 through 1960 tractor models 600 through 1801. If you are interested in the information, post here or PM me. Good thing is that it is searchable. Here's a link to a soft bound copy http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-57-58-...73999b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by chandler; 08-15-15 at 06:03 AM.

FL

09-17-15, 10:13 PM   #9  
Thanks for the input everyone. Had to put this on the back burner for a bit, but i'm going to work on it now.

I'm going to drain the transmission, rear axle, and hydraulic system and put new oil back in. First time i have done this, but i tracked down a manual and it seems pretty straight forward.

The manual states that for my 800 series i should use:

"mild extreme pressure lubricant SAE 80" for the transmission and rear axle

and

"M-4864-A hydraulic oil" for the hydraulic system

I read online where someone said that this UTF would be adequate for all 3 compartments.

Link

But i have also seen where people recommended the UTF only in the hydraulic chamber, and this SAE80w90 stuff for the transmission and rear axle.

Link

Not a big deal if i need both kinds, but it's always nice to save money. If anyone has any thoughts about using only UTF, or UTF and 80w90 i would appreciate hearing them. The tractor is only used about 15 hours a year, mowing a 7 acre pasture.

Also, i suppose i'll go ahead and change the crankcase oil with SAE 30.

Thanks again for the help!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-18-15, 04:06 AM   #10  
I have gear oil in the trans and rear end of my NAA. Just yesterday I changed out the hydraulic fluid. I paid less than $20 for 2 gallons of ISO 46 hydraulic fluid at tractor supply.

Search this Thread