John Deere X300 Engine

Old 08-23-15, 12:15 PM
J
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
John Deere X300 Engine

I bought a new JD x300 lawn tractor earlier this year. the engine is a Kawasaki FS600V-BS21. I'm not having problems with it and I'm only looking for maintenance parts at this point. When I look online I see similar engines listed but none ending in BS21. My guess is that there is at least one and maybe many that are the same except for the sticker on mine that says "John Deere". I'm not worried too much about whether the plugs and filters match. That should be easy to tell. Does anyone know which of these engines would be the same as mine for future reference?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-23-15, 05:46 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
My X300 has the same model and spec code on the engine. If I remember the next time I'm at my Deere dealer, I will ask.

Old 08-24-15, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Your engine may be very similar to others but don't be surprised if it does have some unique bits exclusive to that Deere model number. I had a Briggs engine in my Gator. While many of the parts were common to other Vanguard engines the carburetor, intakes, exhaust, and control linkages were quite unique.

Old 08-25-15, 09:09 PM
J
Thanks for the feedback guys. So it sounds like I can probably use the maintenance parts that appear to be the same but should be careful that they always match.

I can ask at my Deere dealer but he makes money from his parts department. I expect him to say I need to use "original" Deere parts...

Old 08-26-15, 06:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
In general your Deere dealer or their service dept. will have no idea about other engine models or commonality of parts. It's not them trying to make more money off of you. They work mostly on Deere equipment and that's what they see. They simply have no or little knowledge about other part or model numbers.

You can curse Deere for assigning new Deere part numbers to everything. Even if it is a commonly available part Deere will give it one of their unique part numbers and not publish a cross reference.

Surprisingly my Deere dealer's price on an oil filter is lower than aftermarket ones from Auto Zone. In my opinion they are both over priced but you never know. Sometimes the dealer can have a good price.

Old 08-26-15, 01:16 PM
J
Yeah...I hear you. I don't really fault them for trying to make a buck. It's why they're in business. I just view it as my job to not give them any more than I have to I really haven't compared their prices to other local outlets. I usually buy parts online as most of the time I can get them cheaper there.

I have a JD2020 tractor from the early sixties and it never ceases to amaze me that they either have the parts I need or can tell me how to make do with something else. So I could never curse them for what they do

Old 08-26-15, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Most of the parts will interchange with engines of the same family.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: