Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mtd rider mower stalling. 13a1762f729

MO

08-15-15, 05:11 PM   #1  
mtd rider mower stalling. 13a1762f729

This mower starts and runs well for about 2 min,then the engine dies as if the key was turned off.Background: Several months ago this mower was running poorly and stalling.I checked for voltage at the fuel solenoid and then the solenoid with 12v source. I felt the solenoid wasn't working well so I replaced it.The mower still didn't run well. I installed a rebuild in the carb but I drove in the expansion plug too hard and bound up the thottle plate so the engine wouldn't idle. I replaced the carb. Also I had adjusted the valve lash to .005 both valves.It ran "ok" for a short while but then stopped completely. I couldn't find a problem till I put a spark checker on it and it ran well just by moving the plug wire. I replaced the ignition module( plug wire included).It ran well for a short time and then started the same problem. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

IA

08-15-15, 05:57 PM   #2  
Usually (from experience) it's something other than what you have been working on. Since it shows a cutoff, probably it's in the kill/safety switches. Could be in the ignition switch, but a large percent of the time it's in the seat safety switch. For that a good try is to work the plunger in/out a few times, then push it in as far as you can and see where you're at. It may have to be tied in with a zip tie.

Search this Thread