Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S Intek 900 series not starting

IA

08-17-15, 12:35 PM   #1  
B&S Intek 900 series not starting

the Intek is attached to an agri fab leaf vac. It hasn't ran for about 2 years now and decided to get it running for my step dad. The carb was in very bad condition so I decided to replace it and clean everything up. I have replaced the carb and spark plug on it. The engine is getting gas and if I pull the plug out you can see it is getting spark but will not have any hint of wanting to start or run. The magneto was a little dirty so I cleaned it up and gapped it correctly as well. I have begun to run out of ideas as to why it won't start, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-17-15, 01:08 PM   #2  
Remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of gas into the cylinder and install the plug. Or, put a teaspoon of gas down into the throat of the carburetor. Then try starting it. If it sputters or fires a few times then you know it's probably a fuel (carburetor) problem.

When pulling the cord do you feel it come up on compression? When you try to start it does it make the usual "chug" sound when turning it over?

IA

08-17-15, 01:12 PM   #3  
Treat it like a flooded engine. Stop all gas going to the carb and if you can empty the float bowl. Then take out the plug and with full throttle, no choke spin it over about ten times or so. Then put a spoon of gas down the plug hole and with full throttle, no choke spin it to see if it will fire. If it does it will die shortly. Then open up the gas flow to the carb and with half throttle, no choke try to start it.

IA

08-17-15, 01:13 PM   #4  
Have tried putting gas directly in cylinder and carb with no luck. It has good compression

IA

08-17-15, 01:17 PM   #5  
Have tried this as well. I am going out now to check ground and the safety switch for the vac

Group Moderator

NC

08-17-15, 03:24 PM   #6  
If you are getting spark at the spark plug it will not be a ground or safety switch.

MO

08-17-15, 04:57 PM   #7  
Do you know why it was put away, lawn vac and snow blowers have a tendency to pick up stuff they weren't designed for, it may have ingested something and came to a quick stop which would shear the flywheel key and put the ignition timing off, so you might check the flywheel key to see if it is sheared, you must remove the flywheel to check if the key is sheared. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread