Lawnmower run 2 minutes then cuts off

Old 09-09-15, 06:08 AM
Lawnmower run 2 minutes then cuts off

Honda GCV160LA engine on a Craftsman lawnmower.
Runs for a few minutes then chokes and dies.
Will start again if allowed to cool for a while.
I have replaced spark plug, air filter and carburetor, and changed oil.
It runs stronger now for the 2 minutes, but it still cuts off once it has warmed up.
Ideas? I'm about to give in and take it to a repair center.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-15, 06:25 AM
Welcome! I would start by cleaning and inspecting the fuel cap, to make sure it is venting.

Old 09-09-15, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Will the engine start two minutes after it has quit? Basically still hot but just needed a couple minutes or does the engine really have to cool before it re-starts? If it can start while hot then you may have trouble in the carburetor, fuel line or filter that is restricting the flow of fuel. Fuel may be seeping in but not enough to keep the engine running. It runs for a couple minutes using up what's in the carburetor's bowl then the engine dies and when it's off fuel slowly dribbles in to re-fill the bowl.

Get some gloves and tools to remove the spark plug. Run the engine until it gets hot and dies. Immediately remove the spark plug. Put the wire on the plug and hold the plug so the metal tip is touching bare metal of the engine. Then try to start it. Do you see the plug sparking? If not you may have a bad coil.