Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bolens lawn mower does not stay running ..it starts but does not run

WA

09-16-15, 07:52 PM   #1  
Bolens lawn mower does not stay running ..it starts but does not run

Nodel no. is 11a-544l163 made by bolens.

I changed fuel and put new oil ... it starts but does not run

what should I look for ?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-16-15, 09:20 PM   #2  
See if there is gas in the caburetor. Does it run longer if you leave the choke on, or are you even able to take the choke off before it dies?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

09-17-15, 06:07 AM   #3  
When you say it starts but does not run. What exactly do you mean? Is the starter turning the engine over but it doesn't run? Does the engine fire or sputter a few times and die or does it run for 20 seconds or more then die? I'm mainly wondering if the ignition is firing or not.

MO

09-17-15, 09:41 AM   #4  
I think the bowl nut is the main jet on that engine and it is probably clogged, remove the nut and clean it real good, one hole down the center and another across the bottom. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-15, 10:27 AM   #5  
I guess this is a walk behind then? If so, ignore my reply about the choke since it probably doesn't apply.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WA

09-17-15, 11:12 AM   #6  
Well after some adjustment to choke ....now it starts and runs both..before it was just starting for a couple of seconds before it died ...now it stay running but not in full force ...like goes little up and down ..not steady full power...I have added some fuel cleaner and will check after some time if that helps unless u have better idea

LA

09-17-15, 11:57 AM   #7  
I agree on the fuel problem. Take the bottom nut off the bowl clean bowl, run a bread tie in the holes in the bowl nut blow out the tiny holes and reassemble.

Search this Thread