Poulan chain saw has me baffled

Old 09-25-15, 08:07 AM
HI Marbobj...The flywheel has a keyway cut into it...the flywheel will only go on the shaft one way..the spark is blue..so I take it you think my carb is blocked somewhere....I have taken the carb off and put it in carb cleaner again...I will leave it in overnight..then I will pull it out and blow it all out again...put it all back together and try it again...I have done this many times and the results have been the same...this thing doesn't even try to run....I feel like there is something else I should be checking....any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-15, 09:48 AM
Everything being good with the ignition and you have the compression you need, I wouldn't say it's blocked, but flooding. Did you get all the gas out of it with dumping the tank and choking it. Then full throttle, etc.? You were doing all this with the plug in place?

Old 09-25-15, 01:52 PM
I think that model came with a Zama carb. Am iright or is it a Walbro ?

Old 09-25-15, 10:01 PM
marbobj....yes and yes the plug was in place..was I supposed to remove it?
.....the carb is a walbro wt 324....mexico..

Old 09-26-15, 06:24 AM
You would leave the plug in to have the draw of the piston.

Take out the plug and turn the saw up side down with the plug hole at the lowest point and see if any gas runs out when you pull the cord. Leave it in that position for about ten minutes. You may have a pool of gas in the crankcase.

On a two stroke the fuel/air goes from the carb into the crankcase, then the cylinder. In a four stroke it goes directly from the carb to the cylinder.

The saw should start and run fine.

Old 09-26-15, 11:28 AM
I just redid a pro 260 with a 324 walbro. Look at the line that comes out of the tank with the filter on it. It's the small line. With the carb on the saw looking from behind the saw where does that skinny line hook up on the carb ?

Old 09-27-15, 10:35 PM
BoudreuxEunice...the small line that comes from the tank hooks up to the fuel pump diaphragm on the top of the carb I believe. Is that correct?

Old 09-27-15, 10:41 PM
Hi Marbobj....I wil try ur idea of removing the plug and letting any fuel drain out of the plug hole....I hope u are correct and this thing will start and run.....will let you know...

Old 09-28-15, 04:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
spotzie, I noticed that we are both in NY. Are you in Brooklyn, Queens or Nassau by any chance?

Old 09-28-15, 04:59 AM
Yes the one on the right side. the line hooks up to where the single screw is. Not the 4 small screws. that's the metering side.

Old 09-28-15, 01:36 PM
Okay...today I *re-checked the spark again...bluish..*re-checked the gas lines...in the right places...*removed the adapter piece that the carb attaches to the head with and cleaned it all up...gaskets on both sides looked good.....*rebuilt the carb....PROBLEM....when I prime the carb gas comes out the choke end of the carb.....I don't think that is supposed to happen is it?....changed the metering diaphragm...no change...*re-checked compression...now down to 90psi on 2 pulls...but only goes up to 100-110psi after about 10 pulls...is that a problem?

Old 09-28-15, 02:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
90 psi should be enough. The carb seems, to be the problem. No gas should be seen, at all. Since it's a 2 stroke, does oil have to be mixed with the gas? Is it done automatically or do you have to mix it? If you have to mix it, what is the ratio?

Old 09-28-15, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gas coming out the opening of the carb is not supposed to happen. A new carb for this is cheap. I'd replace it. It could be a pressed in check valve in the carb leaking. 90 PSI is ok.

Old 09-28-15, 05:29 PM
I agree with Cheese your carb is done. spend the 35 bux and you gonna be happy when it starts on the 2nd pull of the rope.

Old 09-28-15, 11:53 PM
Hi Pulpo....Yes I mix it....40 : 1 is what it calls for. So 90 psi is okay? What would cause the gas to come out of the carb when I prime it? I changed the "reed valve diaphragm", I think thats what its called, the diaphragm gasket thats on the bottom of my walbro carb, but the results were the same...priming the carb caused gas to come out the choke hole. I've also tried using different fuel pump diaphragms as well. Before I put the carb back on today after soaking it in carb cleaner for 2 days I blew out every opening I could find..double checked the gas line configuration and made sure as best I could that all gaskets and diaphragms were in good shape. What do I need to do/check next? Also no I don't live near NYC...I am closer to Syracuse.

Old 09-29-15, 12:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If gas is coming out of a little brass round thing that sticks up a bit in the throat of the carb, it's an air bleed check valve. It has a rubber disk in it that gets ruined by soaking in carb cleaner. It doesn't come in carb kits and is pressed into the carb body. Replacing the carb is next.

Old 09-29-15, 07:49 AM
Hi Cheese....I see gas coming out of the choke end of the carb when primed. Is there a way to check to see if it is coming out of this air bleed check valve or some other area of the carb first?

Old 09-29-15, 10:04 AM
If gas is coming out of a little brass round thing that sticks up a bit in the throat of the carb, it's an air bleed check valve.
That is how you would tell.

Old 09-29-15, 03:57 PM
Hi marbobj and cheese....when I prime the carb I can see the gas squirt up through a hole just inside the carb from the choke flap on the lower part of the carb...Is that where the air bleed check valve is? Also I took the carb apart again and removed the fuel pump diaphragm and found that whole reservoir full of fuel and when I pulled the needle valve out that hole was full of fuel as well. I tried a different needle valve and fuel pump diaphragm but gas still squirted out of the hole in the bottom inside area in the carb just behind the choke flab. Does that still indicate that I need a new/different carb. If yes do you guys know where I can find a walbro wt 324 carb? Everything I could find on the internet is a wt 89 and 891...the fuel lines are on both sides and I am concerned that the one that is now on the left side with impinge the throttle control rod. Do you know if that is true and will that be a problem?

Old 09-29-15, 04:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
spotzie, It's too bad that you live on the other end of NY. I swear that I would go there free of charge, to look at that thing. It's driving me crazy. So far, everything points to the carb. Find a supplier with a good return policy & replace it.

Old 09-29-15, 04:35 PM
I think your carb is no longer available on some sites but the wt 625 is the replacement. Check first !!

Old 09-29-15, 05:59 PM
Carburetor Assembly for Poulan Wildthing Pioneer Predator Gas Chainsaws New | eBay

28 bucks - free shipping. But don't buy this and put a kit in it.