Poulan chain saw has me baffled

Old 09-22-15, 12:49 PM
Poulan chain saw has me baffled

poulan wild thing 2375 chainsaw..was running and cutting earlier this spring/summer....then quit....now doesn't even try to start....new gas....new plug....checked for spark...has spark...checked solid state ignition..seems to be good...checked compression...90 1st pull, fourth pull 120....new gas lines....new gas filter...exhaust inspected and cleaned...primed carb...nothing....primed down spark plug hole..nothing....I hope someone can tell what is wrong with this thing? what else can I check? .......I forgot to add carb cleaned out in cleaner for a week....then installed new carb kit...gaskets, fuel pump diaphram, screens, etc. all of the above done or tested....no nothing....not a whimper. pleases someone tell me how to get this running.

Last edited by spotzie; 09-22-15 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-15, 03:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What color is the spark? It should have a blue tint. Plain orange won't do it.

Old 09-22-15, 03:57 PM
The "then quit" why did it quit, if it stopped abruptly it could have sheared the flywheel key which would put it the ignition out of time. If it quit like it ran out of gas it could be an air leak like a crankcase seal. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-22-15, 05:04 PM
the spark has blue tint....but if it were orange what would cause the problem?

Old 09-22-15, 05:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If the spark were pure orange, the coil would be the problem.

Old 09-22-15, 06:11 PM
I checked the flywheel...it has a key cut into it....also this w thing has a solid state ignition...is there some way the timing could still be off? It didn't run out of gas as I recall....it just stopped running...other ideas? How do I check the crankcase for a leak?

Old 09-22-15, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it wouldn't do anything with gas primed directly in the plug hole, I wouldn't worry about a crankcase leak just yet. Solid state can very rarely spark but at the wrong time because of defect, but I would bet that's not the problem because it's very rare to happen.

Is the spark plug wet?
What brand of spark plug is in it?
If the plug is dry, put a teaspoon of gas in the plug hole, reinstall plug and wire, give the engine full throttle, no choke, and pull several times to see what it does and report back.

Old 09-22-15, 06:46 PM
is there a coil with solid state ignition?

Old 09-22-15, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes. No matter if it's solid state or not, there is an ignition coil.

Old 09-22-15, 06:53 PM
You have one in it now. Points went out in the late 80's

Old 09-22-15, 07:18 PM
okay I will try that and get back to you....thank you all for your responses

Old 09-23-15, 07:28 AM
Hi Cheese can you please tell me where the ignition coil is and how to test it?

Old 09-23-15, 07:42 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If the spark has a blue tint, the coil should be good. I didn't mention a gas washed cylinder because you said that you had compression. However you could check the compression again, in case you flooded it since.

Old 09-23-15, 07:59 AM
Hi Cheese I put a teaspoon of fuel down the plug hole, pulled 30 times full throttle no chock....no sputter or firing at all....champion spark plug CJ8Y....blue spark....more thoughts?

Old 09-23-15, 08:05 AM
Hi Pulpo I will try a compression check again and get back to you....The test I just did with fuel in the spark plug hole failed...no sputter...no nothing....I tested the spark first and it looked blue to me.....

Old 09-23-15, 08:09 AM
I should mention to that I have inspected the piston and do not see any scoring...I am running out of things/ideas to check to make this thing work....

Old 09-23-15, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My guess is that the engine is flooded. You have fuel, spark, and compression, so this thing should run unless one of these requirements is out of spec. I asked earlier if the spark plug was wet or dry... did you look before putting gas in the hole?

Old 09-23-15, 10:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What about air? Is there a filter? The main things are compression, air, gas & spark. Also, what kind of choke does it have?

Old 09-23-15, 11:02 AM
Choke is a manual with throttle lock back off the choke. My bet is Cheese is right. It's flooded.

I would dump all the gas out of the tank, then with full choke, half throttle spin it over a few times to empty the carb.

Then full throttle, no choke, pull it until it fires.

Old 09-24-15, 12:29 AM
yes and the plug was dry....today when I did the fuel down the plug hole idea and pulled 30 times the plug was still quite dry....It wasn't dripping wet I mean...I feel like gas is not getting to the cylinder.....what would cause that? I have rebuilt the carb a few times with new gaskets and diaphrams and have cleaned and blown out the carb every time I do it. The gasket between the carb and cylinder seems fine. Nothing seems to make any difference. The results are the same....it doesn't even fire at all....I just want to know what step/check I am missing.

Old 09-24-15, 12:35 AM
Hi Pulpo....I have been trying to start it without the air filter on it....but the air filter is new...compression when last tested was good....90 to 120 4th pull....spark is bluish..gas seems to getting to carb....I'm just not sure it is getting to the spark plug....after many pulls the spark plug doesn't get very wet, if wet at all. What would cause the gas not to get to the cylinder? I have checked the gasket between the carb and cylinder and it seems fine. The choke is a manual choke. I have been told of a "reed valve". Does this thing have one? Is it something I should check? How do I do that and what am I checking for?

Old 09-24-15, 12:39 AM
Hi Marbobj...I will try your idea and get back to you with the results....thanks

Old 09-24-15, 03:40 AM
while you have posted compression # might try pulling the plug and add some heavier weight oil to the cylinder then pull the starter over several times with the plug out this will blow out any excess oil, and then reinstall the plug and try to start the saw and see if it will run for a few seconds.
compression may just be low enough that it will not run and adding the oil will only temporarily increase compression a little.

Old 09-24-15, 03:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Is there a rubber hose that takes the gas from the carb to the cylinder? If so, it could have collapsed inside.

Old 09-24-15, 05:58 AM
Don't worry about a reed valve. Most two strokes have gotten away from those and use port tuning. It positions the ports so the valve function is performed by the piston passing the ports at just the right time.

It lowers production costs and with the higher rpms of a two stroke it takes care of the air flow through the engine which is more of a whoosh/bang/whoosh anyway.

Old 09-24-15, 06:09 AM
Fuel Lines

Make sure the two fuel lines are not reversed at the carb.

Old 09-24-15, 07:51 AM
wirepuller....I have checked to make sure the fuel lines are in the correct location a few times but will check again....thanks

Old 09-24-15, 07:58 AM
Marbobj.....just tried ur idea....pulled 40 times....no firing....should I pull it 40 more times? what is this indicating?

Old 09-24-15, 08:05 AM
Wirepuller....I just checked the fuel lines and they are in the correct location. Also line for vacuum into the top of the gas tank appears to be fine.....what should I check or try to do next please?

Old 09-24-15, 08:24 AM
One other thing....when I prime my carb if I do it enough times fuel comes out the end of my carb? Is that supposed to happen or is that indicating something is plugging my carb? I also noticed that even though my spark plug doesn't get wet after numerous pulls...when I take apart the carb it is full of fuel. Is that a problem? If so what fixes it? I have installed at least one new carb kit already.

Old 09-24-15, 08:29 AM
That means you got something messed up inside the carb. Did you match the gaskets and diaphragms from the kit with what came out of the carb? There's usually a couple extra.

When you pump the primer on that engine it doesn't squirt fuel into the carb throat like you're seeing. It just circulates the fuel through the carb reservoir and back to the tank. Its purpose is to purge the air from the fuel delivery and make it available in the reservoir for the choke to do its thing.

Old 09-24-15, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree your carb is not right. If it's doing that, it reinforces my thinking that it's flooding. It's hard to say without being able to look at it firsthand. I think probably a replacement carb would be the best option. From the sound of it, the carb is the only thing wrong with the saw.

i

Old 09-25-15, 06:17 AM
Yes I believe I matched it all gasket for gasket and diaphragm for diaphragm. So your saying that when I prime the carb gas should not come out the end if the carb? How do I fix that? What causes that to happen?

Old 09-25-15, 06:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like there is a restriction somewhere. I noticed that there are some youtube videos related, to those saws. You might want to look at them.

Old 09-25-15, 07:07 AM
I have been watching the utube vids..I hope they are correct......I just took the carb apart again..cleaning it all out again.....gas was in the top by the fuel pump diaphragm...is that how it should be? Also I tested the solid state ignition again...disconnected the on/off switch and got a bluish spark...opened up the gap on the spark plug and the bluish spark spanned the distance...reconnected the on/off wire..same results...so is my solid state ignition okay? there was something about a coil...does this eliminate the coil from the equation?

Old 09-25-15, 07:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Based on the spark, it sounds like the coil is good.

plug was still quite dry....It wasn't dripping wet I mean.
The plug can't be wet at all. Have you replaced the spark plug at all since the beginning?

Old 09-25-15, 07:49 AM
The coil, on old ignition systems, was controlled by a set of points and condenser. Over simplifying, the coil created the high voltage spark with the passing of the magnetic field off the flywheel. On the newer setups you just have a single ignition module which integrates all the functions into one part. If you get a strong, blueish spark all that stuff is working.

When an two stroke shuts down suddenly, the problem is usually the ignition system. This would include the kill switch, kill wiring, and flywheel key which has to be aligned and seated in the keyway of the crankshaft end.

When you have fuel problems the shutdown is relatively slower since the fuel goes from carb to crankcase to compression chamber. It takes a little more more time for all that to empty out.

To answer your question: the fuel shouldn't come out the end of the carb when you pump the primer. All the fuel should circulate from the tank, through the primer and carb, then back to the tank. This how yours should work - it's pretty common. Don't get confused with other priming systems that do drop fuel into the carb throat. Yours shouldn't.

Old 09-25-15, 07:57 AM
yes I have...many times..the one in it now is a champion CJ8Y. I thought the plug would get wet if the engine was getting flooded? Since the plug doesn't get wet at all after many pulls I thought that was an indication that gas was not going from the carb to the cylinder. That is what makes this thing run right or am I incorrect?

Old 09-25-15, 07:58 AM
There is a metering valve with the reservoir diaphragm. Did you get that put in OK?

Old 09-25-15, 08:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It seems that you are following the correct train of thought.

Search this Thread