Ryobi electric cultivator - Tines skip even when motor is runnin

Old 09-27-15, 12:29 PM
Question Ryobi electric cultivator - Tines skip even when motor is runnin

Hello,

I have Ryobi electric cultivator (RY46501B). Its tines skip when tangled in roots even when motor is running. I think gears must be stripped.

I wonder if there is any way repair it? I looked online but I don't see parts list of components of the gear box assembly. Do I have to replace entire gear box assembly?

While attempting to repair I tried to remove the the Rear Housing Assembly. I removed the only screw, but can't seem to remove the Rear Housing Assembly. Any idea how to remove the Rear Housing Assembly?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-15, 12:44 PM
You decided to buy a low end tool, by the time you buy the parts and spend the time to fix you could have bought a far better tool.
My Mantis has been running without issues for at least three years, starts second pull even after storing for a year.

Old 09-27-15, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It does look like the gearbox is sold as a unit, non-serviceable. I would take that $150 for the replacement gearbox and apply that towards a mantis tiller (you'll be halfway there). I have never had a mantis come in with a bad gearbox that I recall. They run around $300 and last decades. They perform so much better than other models as well.

Old 09-27-15, 05:32 PM
Thanks joecaption and cheese.

I appreciate the response.

Old 09-27-15, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry it wasn't probably the response you hoped for but it's the best advice I can give.

Old 09-27-15, 05:45 PM
And that's why I come to doityourself.com, because I know I can get the best advice:-)

Now it's just a matter of academics. I would like to take it apart and see what actually went wrong, even though I can't/won't fix it.

Does anybody know how to remove the Rear Housing Assembly? I removed the only screw but can't seem to pull the housing off.

Old 09-27-15, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not very familiar with this model, but looking at the diagram, it looks like there are 2 screws (#56). Could there be one under the label?

Old 09-28-15, 07:02 AM
Yes, that could be it. I will check today and report findings...

Old 10-13-15, 08:48 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. Got some time this weekend to look into it. Yes, there was the other screw under the label.