Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Simplicity Deck rollers

OH

10-01-15, 06:12 PM   #1  
Simplicity Deck rollers

I have a 1995 Simplicity Sunstar with a 60 inch deck model # 1691339. The rollers and the shaft had to be replaced. The new rollers were supposed to come with plastic bushings, one in each end of each of 7 rollers. They did not come with them so the company sent them separately. The bushings would not fit in the ends of the rollers without drilling the roller out to accommodate them.
When I called them to complain their answer was that now the rollers are made to fit the shaft without using plastic bushings. The rollers will fit on the shaft without the bushings, but what about lubrication? I would think that regular grease would collect dirt in a big way. These rollers will outlive me without the bushings, but I would like some ideas about what grease to use, if any, in this application.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

10-02-15, 05:41 AM   #2  
Are you even able to grease your rollers? Most that are plastic (no metal bushings) go without lubrication.

OH

10-02-15, 07:48 AM   #3  
Simplicity Deck rollers

Well, there is not a zerk to do it, never was. The original parts breakdown described a roller with a plastic bushing inserted in each end, but as I said, the new ones don't come that way. (they came sized to fit the OD of the steel shaft that the rollers ride onr, no room for the plastic bushings I convinced them were supposed to be there) I am sure that these will probably work, but my experience with things spinning on other things with no lubrication leads to wear. What do you think?

Last edited by WML13; 10-02-15 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Wrong word

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-02-15, 08:22 AM   #4  
I wouldn't use any lube as you mention it will only collect dirt and create grit. You can polish the shaft up nice and smooth and the plastic of the wheel is likely the same stuff as the bushings were and perhaps a design change to save on cost.

OH

10-03-15, 08:22 AM   #5  
Simplicity Deck Rollers

The roller assembly is back on the mower and working. I now have an extra set of bushings I can use later if the plastic wears out before the steel roller. Thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread