Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
International Harvester Cub Cadet info

Recently acquired one:

Serial # 248765
105 =Model 105?

Kohler K241A
Spec 46407D
12HP?

Has been sitting for over 2 years, apparently was running and mowing then just would not move. Been sitting in Ma's back yard and her boyfriend has had it to two local places and both told him the tranny was bad and parts not available.
I have just recently moved back to Kansas to help my Ma and took this on as a project. She purchased it from him so I could fix it or get rid of it for scrap.

I snagged the battery out of her Husqy rider for testing, got it running and after some more diagnosing found the shear pin for the drive line was missing. Used a 1/4" bolt to test and voila runs drives mows etc. 45 cent cotter pin and drove it up to the garage, have a carb kit and petcock for the fuel on order.
(fuel bowl was bone dry had to free the needle valve, add gas and now the needle valve leaks as does the petcock and still need to check the brass float)
The boyfriend has put more than 500$ into this thing with no results and he is not happy now but still his loss.

From my research so far seems to be a true IH 1969 vintage 50" deck 12HP Kohler. I also found another forum for these critters so not sure of any value and would like to know exactly what is supposed to be used for the shear key/rollpin....etc, for the drive line.

Posting here first since I have been a long time member and former Mod. Have been looking for work and apparently I am overqualified for any positions I have interviewed for so, with a bit of backing from Ma, JB's Fixit is under start up!

Thanks for any info anyone can provide,

Azis
There is also a 42" plow for it.

Old 10-08-15, 08:05 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
The K241 is the ten horse. The K301 is twelve horse. Can't say what the original pin would have been, but in a shear application you would usually find a solid pin rather than a roll pin. The latter would crush and loosen rather than hold and shear upon crossing a threshold.

Cotter pins aren't the best either since they are in halves and for the most part pretty soft.

Old 10-08-15, 09:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
K thx marbobj, I realize this is not a permanent solution, however it is a stainless steel cotter pin. I have other info saying it should be a roll pin so i will try a 1/4" and see if it fits firmly. My main concern was that with a 1/4" bolt, and cotter pin, they felt a bit loose and I need at least 2" in length so perhaps a special order roll pin if the hole in the drive shaft is worn and the reason for the first one falling out. Basically I am just not understanding why this drive line is not bolted for some reason other than any kind of pin...per say. It is a hydro static drive so should be no reason for a shear, roll pin makes more sense but still the train drivers must have been having a beer when they designed this thing.

Old 10-09-15, 03:19 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure if you got it fixed or not. Just an observation. My dad bought one of these back in the 70's. Hydrostatic transmission??? I told him he surely bought a pig in a poke. Turned out to be a long running machine with few problems, and a bunch of power. Good luck with the restoration.

Old 10-09-15, 04:19 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
That really doesn't look like a shear pin application. It just looks like a drive pin, especially with the hydrostatic. Without a retainer on the top/bottom of the pin a roll pin is about all that would stay in place.

Old 10-09-15, 09:45 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The link below seems to have a bunch of IH Cub Cadet stuff, maybe hey have an IPL to show the part you need. Have a good one. Geo

CUB CADET WAREHOUSE New Used Parts kohler Tractor International Harvester IH IHC Briggs Stratton Mower Deck Brinly

Old 10-09-15, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info and links (nice site geo) all.
I have confirmed that it is a simple roll (tension) pin. 1/4" x 1.5" 57 cents at Ace Hardware. Fits nice and snug so should be good to go. Just waiting on parts for the carb now.

Along with the plow have also found a set of tire chains now soaking in some used engine oil.
Hit the hood and a fender with some polishing compound and the original paint still has some life in it.
Will get it loaded and hauled to the car wash this weekend and work on some clean up and such until parts come in.

Old 10-09-15, 03:04 PM
i wish my Paran ( godfather) was still alive. He could tell me without looking in a book. He was the best parts manager IH ever had in Abbeville La.

Old 10-14-15, 11:17 AM
All Cleaned up and serviced and for sale

Old 10-14-15, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Nice! If I was closer, I'd be thinkin' about showing up with a trailer!

Old 10-16-15, 04:26 PM
Thx cheese, was kinda wondering where you been, hope just a nice Vaca.

Sold it today for 800. Nice old guy who really wanted it and does some small engine repair in his spare retired time. Was also a wealth of info and help for me on how to get the word out for JB's so, good deal for all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: