Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

onan generator 4k

IA

10-19-15, 10:52 AM   #1  
onan generator 4k

I only get a clicking sound when I hit the starter switch, Iv applied extra battery power by jumper cables and it still clicks, I've replaced solenoid and same results, the starter is new and tested out fine, its got a new brain in the process and still clicks when I try to start it, the motor turns normally, what have I missed /

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

10-19-15, 11:00 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

The 12+ goes from the battery thru the solenoid to the starter. Using a 12v test light or a meter you need to see where it's getting lost.

If you want an exact wiring path then you'll need to post the exact model number.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

10-19-15, 11:13 AM   #3  
If you bridge the battery cable and the cable to the starter, the starter should crank. The solenoid sounds like it is working correctly, but a meter will tell if it is actually passing voltage from the battery to the starter terminal.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

IA

10-19-15, 12:07 PM   #4  
12 volt

I replaced the solenoid and had the same result even when I put another battery to it with jumpers. I read 12 volts +

IA

10-19-15, 08:22 PM   #5  
Solenoid

Thanks for all the input, I found the problem, the power side was off a relay that limited amps, the mechanic hooked it up at the wrong source.

Thanks !

Search this Thread