Troybuilt riding mower won't start

Old 10-24-15, 03:17 PM
Troybuilt riding mower won't start

I have troybuilt riding lawmower which was running fine until hit a tree root,
now it wont start. Found out that the flywheel key was shear so I replaced it but still will not start just popping ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-15, 03:43 PM
If you did not properly torque the flywheel nut it may have sheared again when you tried to start it. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-24-15, 03:46 PM
No I have checked again and it is fine in place.

Old 10-24-15, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Put a plug in it.
_____________-

Old 10-25-15, 12:29 PM
Thanks Cheese but I am not as stubid as you are

Old 10-25-15, 05:09 PM
laurent1;
OUCH, not good on this forum. People are just trying to help. If you would check Cheese's post count of 15,000+ he is far from stupid. Geo

Old 10-25-15, 05:24 PM
Something is wrong since it's popping. Take the flywheel off all the way and inspect the key that way. Or regap the coil. Cheese is right about spark somewhere ~!~!

Old 10-25-15, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What exactly are you saying, that a popping engine can't be caused by a bad spark plug? Please enlighten us "stubid" folks.

My guess is that you either didn't tighten the flywheel nut or bolt tight enough and/or you put grease or oil on the mating surfaces and it sheared again, but since you said you checked it and it's fine, I am giving the benefit of the doubt and going with the simplest things first. A sheared flywheel key causes the engine not to start. So, you crank on it a while trying to figure out what happened. I'm sure you choked it some to see if it would start before you figured out what was wrong. Guess what? That can gas the plug, especially if it's an old carboned up plug, a NGK, or a no-name chinese plug. A gassed plug will pop and spit when you try to start the engine which is exactly what you described. If you can argue against that, please be my guest. I seriously doubt you can.

Afterthought: What kind of person joins a free forum and asks for help, then tries to insult the people who volunteer their time when they attempt to help?

Last edited by cheese; 10-25-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 09:04 AM
Unhappy troybilt bronco won't start

I have a 2013 Troybilt Bronco 42" cut. The shelter collapsed on it & dented the hood & dash, which I have replaced. Before I replaced the parts, it would run fine. After abt 6 months, I bought the replacement parts & replaced them. Now it won't turn over. The starter does try to crank the engine, but it won't fire. I replaced the gas filter, checked to be sure the gas line wasn't clogged, & put in fresh gas. I told my mechanic abt it & he said it could be a stuck float from sitting for 6 months, but he's kind of duh as a mechanic lol. Is there something I can spray in the carbeurator to loosen it up? or do I need to take off the carbeurator & clean it out? Or could it be something else I need to check first? Any help would be great!

Old 10-30-15, 09:48 AM
Do you have spark ?

Vintage 2013 is like Brand New in my book !

Old 10-30-15, 01:06 PM
Check for spark at the plug also check anything you attached to the new parts, wiring, grounds etc, sometimes the new paint will keep something from grounding properly. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-30-15, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just trying to clarify:
The starter does try to crank the engine, but it won't fire.
Does the starter spin the engine and the engine won't fire as in try to start, or does the starter engage and not spin the engine over?
If the starter does spin the engine over then, as mentioned, check for spark and or dribble some fuel into the carb throat.

Old 11-04-15, 05:12 PM
if I take off the air filter and spray carb cleaner in there, it cranks and runs until it burns up the carb cleaner