poulan chainsaw model 2300 av wont run

Old 10-26-15, 10:16 PM
poulan chainsaw model 2300 av wont run

I have a poulan 2300 av that won't keep running. I had a previous thread about this but can not locate it in here so I am starting a new one.. I found a bad head gasket. The head itself was loose so I took both side panels off and found that the head gasket was broken and the head itself was loose. I have rebuilt the head gasket and resealed and tightened the head to the block. It seems all good. Compression seems nice and high. Now the engine turns over easy but wont keep running. I have rebuilt the carb already with new gaskets and diaphragms and it is getting fuel. There is no primer bulb so I am pouring gas directly in the carb to prime it. It starts after a few pulls choke on usually but will not keep running. I have cleaned the H and L jets and needles and have started with them set at 1 turn out each. I have slowly added about 1/16th of a turn slowly. Did have it running for a few secs by doing this but still can't keep it running. What is the likely problem? What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-15, 06:32 AM
Still sounds like fuel related issue.
Changed the fuel filter in the tank?
I've never had much luck trying to rebuild those tiny carb's I just replace the whole thing.
Trying to use fuel that's been left in it for over 3 months?
Tried loosing the gas cap to see if it's the vent plugged up?

Old 10-27-15, 06:38 AM
Temporarily Suspended
LOL This is the 3rd thread that you started, on the same saw. It's like Rocky 3 except that the saw won, in all 3 movies.

All your threads are located at:

View Profile: spotzie - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 10-27-15, 07:27 AM
When you say you rebuilt the head gasket, what did you do there? If it has been broken you have to replace it for a fix.

Those things have a cylinder/head component bolted to a crankcase. With that setup you can get good compression with a bad gasket, but have the poor performance you're describing. The bad gasket would allow a crankcase vacuum leak and ruin the fuel/air mixture and a few other things you need to get it going.

Old 10-27-15, 11:40 PM
I made a new gasket with gasket material, then sealed all up with gasket sealer. The saw will start when primed but doesn't run long enough to adjust the carb to keep it running. Gas cap has sponge/foam in it and a little air hole in cap....I replaced the foam and sometimes gas sprays out of the little hole. The engine runs very sporadically not consistent. Sometimes it runs longer than others but it doesn't run long enough to tune up. This leads me to think that there is something else wrong with it still. Got any ideas/suggestions of what else to look for or try?

Old 10-28-15, 03:32 AM
If you can get it started, try setting the mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns out. Then set the throttle stop screw to keep it running while you're tuning it.

Set the L screw for max rpms, then out 1/16 turn, then the H screw for max rpms @ wide open throttle, then out slightly to get a drop in rpms. Then reset the L screw for good acceleration and finally the throttle stop so the chain just stops moving.

Make sure you always turn the mixture screws back out for the drop in rpms to get a richer mixture for lubrication.

Old 10-29-15, 11:56 AM
I did what you said....primed it...got it running for a few mins.....adjusted the h and l screws to get it to run seemingly optimum....it will not run without the choke on full....is that a problem or and indicator of one? So thinking I had it working I put on the bar and chain and now it won't start at all....gas appears to going thru the line to the carb...the gas is only a couple of weeks old. everything seems okay but the engine will not keep running? what causes that?

Old 10-29-15, 12:48 PM
I think you have a huge air leak, if you can get it running again spray/dribble some carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along all crankcase mating surfaces when the engine tempo changes you have found a leak. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-29-15, 01:51 PM
See if using the primer keeps it running without the choke.

Old 11-03-15, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Two things to check.

1- Verify diaphragm and gasket are installed in the correct order and orientation under the metering chamber cover. If incorrect, affects operation of metering valve lever which could starve the engine of gas.

2- Verify metering valve lever height is set correctly. Even though you do this by bending the lever, it is a sensitive adjustment for proper motor operation.

Good luck