Toro 26622- Suzuki 4 Stroke

Old 11-09-15, 07:43 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro 26622- Suzuki 4 Stroke

My Dad bought this mower back in 1989 and I recently took it over to my place as a little side project. It had sat quite awhile so I pulled the carb and cleaned the main jet out and gave everything a healthy dosage of carb cleaner.

I reassembled and to my surprise the thing fired right up, first pull. The problem occurs when I disengage the choke. It revs WAAAYYY to high and I immediately have to shut it off to avoid damage.

My next step was to take the breather back off and watch the throttle action through from choke to run. It looks like the throttle control opens the carb to full and engages the choke, but when you come off the choke the throttle stays wide open regardless of the throttle position.

Is it possible that I have a bad spring on the spring that works in tandem with the throttle rod?? It's like there is forward tension, but no backward tension to close the carb if that makes sense... Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-09-15, 09:20 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Old 11-10-15, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Often on an engine that has been sitting unused for a long time, the throttle shaft becomes stuck in place. You may just need to spray it with carb cleaner and work it back and forth until it frees up. Is it free to rotate?

Old 11-10-15, 06:51 AM
S
Cheese- the throttle lever moves freely and I have cleaned and sprayed the action with a silicon spray.

So, if I start with the throttle lever to off and the carb closed I can see the carb open up as I advance the throttle to choke. When I move the throttle back to the off position the carb stays wide open. In my estimation I should be able to see it close right??

Old 11-10-15, 08:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with cheese, you need to verify that the throttle valve/butterfly on the carb itself is free. The throttle lever should go to the governor and not directly to the throttle valve. You may have to remove the carb to check this. Also make sure the two small screws that hold the butterfly to the shaft are present and tight and that the butterfly has not come loose and wedged itself.

Old 11-10-15, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also it could be the linkage to the throttle shaft catching, binding or incorrectly connected.

Old 11-10-15, 02:22 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Your governor assembly is not working correctly or is missing parts. Go to the website in joecaption's response and look at the diagram and parts list for Governor Assembly. Shaft G1 controls butterfly position based on throttle position and engine RPM. Springs G7 abd G8 dampen governor operation. Make sure everything is there and connected. Good luck

Old 11-10-15, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
No, the throttle won't necessarily close when you back off the throttle unless the engine is running and the governor is trying to close it.

It does sound like your governor is out of adjustment or there is a linkage problem. Usually the governor never requires any adjusting, so I'd start by looking for other problems and if nothing else is found, go to that.

Old 11-10-15, 09:34 PM
S
All good news to report after I went back after it today. I went back to square 1 as many of y'all suggested and throughly cleaned and lubed the governor assembly. I also went back into the carb for another round of cleaning and realized I missed the top jet during my first rebuild. Afterward, I reassembled everything and with the first pull I got fire and a great idle, no over revving or surge whatsoever. I very much appreciate the help and insight. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: