Charging a pole saw LI-ion battery

Old 11-09-15, 12:17 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Charging a pole saw LI-ion battery

I bought a Kobalt 40V pole saw that uses a LI ion battery. When not in use should the battery be left in the charger or the saw? How should the battery be stored over the winter when it will not be used?

Old 11-09-15, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would read the user manual and see what it recommends.
Most all electric equipment I have come with a "smart charger" and it is recommended to leave the battery in the charger when not in use.

Old 11-09-15, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
The battery/charger manual looks to be just about useless but I've read user reviews that say remove the battery after charging to keep it from burning up. There is a power gauge on the battery. That should be useful in determining when the battery needs a recharge.

Keep the battery out of the freezing cold of the winter.

Old 11-12-15, 10:51 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Thanks Pete. Since a replacement battery makes up about 60% of the saw's cost I really want to preserve the battery.

I read the manual that came with the saw and it left a lot to be desired regarding battery charging. Like most chargers it simply blinks when charging and is a solid light when charged. It does say remove the battery when it is charged (I missed that earlier).

Then I made the mistake of googling LI ion battery charging. There is a ton of information but it's mostly confusing and often contradictory. The power gage on the charger is a bit of a misnomer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: