snow thrower recommendations

Old 08-24-15, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
snow thrower recommendations

I know its early, but I need some feed back on snow throwers for woman in her 50's. Some physical back issues

I'm thinking a Toro, or Ariens single stage, or two stage. Something small enough for her to
handle. We had a tough winter here in Massachusetts last year, so my thoughts were to find a machine she could handle

Thanks

Old 08-24-15, 12:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
We get enough snow here I would only want a two stage and I think things are similar where you are. The upside is there isn't much physical to it, as the machine drives itself.

Old 08-24-15, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your input. Good point on two stage

Old 08-24-15, 01:35 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I used to have my driveway plowed under contract by guys with pick-ups . . . . and it took most of every spring to repair my lawn from the gouges they left.

We get about 160" of snow per winter (not all at once) and I clear about 6 parking places and 200' of 10' wide driveway plus several hundred feet of footpaths around our farm; and nothing is flat.

Since 2007, I've been using an MTD Two Stage Blower (labeled under White Outdoor), and I'd recommend it. The "Heated HandGrips" were automatically provided (not an option) in 2007; but I can say that they make snowblowing a comfortable activity now, and the headlight is a valuable safety feature . . . . not for me to see; but for me to be seen.

The AC Electric Start is a very nice feature in mid winter; but they come equipped with a recoil start as well, in case you run out of gas further away from an outlet than an extension cord will reach.

Self propelled, it can be a one-hand deal . . . . and no gouges in my lawn.

Old 08-24-15, 01:44 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Stickshift is correct that the machine drives itself. But you still need to maneuver it. And that can be a challenge for some people. Even myself will sometime find it necessary to have to push it or slide from side to side. And that can be tough in some circumstances. If she has any kind of physical disability or back problems I have my doubts if any snow blower will be easy.

I strongly suggest that your mother try one out, even in warm weather at the dealer and see if she can handle it. If it's just snow that in the 3" to 10" range then a small two stage in the 5 HP range won't be too bad. Even a single stage could handle it. But anything like last winter and nothing less than a 8 HP or more will be needed. And those machines are not easy to move around. But will she really need to move that kind of snow in those kind of conditions? Most likely she should wait for help. I'm not a fan of Ariens, but any brand from a big box store will most likely be OK for her purposes.

Old 08-24-15, 01:54 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I agree with Norm for the most part.
Single woman, back issues, the high cost of buying, the maintaince issues, I'd be looking for someone local to do it for her.
There may be someone right next door looking to make a few bucks to pay for there's.

Old 08-24-15, 02:21 PM
Smile

Thanks folks

Your replies have been helpful,and I'm forwarding them to my Daughter

daswede

Old 09-03-15, 10:23 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Ann,
That's a good choice for your circumstances. Normally Eastern and Southern PA won't get so much snow that you need a large two stage.

Old 09-04-15, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies...daswede

Old 09-15-15, 07:46 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
one more choice?

Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

Very friendly and knowledgeable site
good luck

Old 11-08-15, 05:02 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Deleted this reply; duped !

Old 11-19-15, 12:37 PM
I bought a new Ariens two stage snowblower last year and am very happy with it. My last snowblower was from Sears and only lasted us about 7 winters. This Ariens machine is much better made.

Snow blowers are heavy and can be difficult to handle especially if you don't have enough room to turn. I suggest you clean up the property and find a dry place to store the snowmobile before the snow flies so you're not trying to navigate the machine in small spaces.

Most snowblowers come with electric starter motors so it's good to have a nearby power outlet. Trying to handle an extension cord in freezing cold weather can be a pain. I'm putting a heater in my shed so I can let my equipment warm up for a couple hours before I go out there..

Other advice is try and locate a source of good quality ethanol free gasoline. Here in Canada all Shell V-power gasoline is 100% ethanol free. I use it in all my power equipment and I have no problem running equipment that has old gas in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: