loose axle on snowblower

Old 12-04-15, 08:36 AM
loose axle on snowblower

I have an MTD 2 stage blower (model number 31AE6A4E129 310-468). When I was replacing the skids and scraper blade, I noticed that it does not sit level on the ground. It looks like the axle has some play in it relative to where it comes through the transmission housing. Is this normal? Is it something I need to address? There appear to be seals of some sort where the axle comes through the housing and they are not tight in the housing but I am unsure how to make them tight.

Any suggestions?

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-15, 09:20 AM
Those are just replaceable bushings (space age plastic) that wear. They shouldn't be worn enough to rotate (they're hexagonal and sit in the sheet metal housing) so it may be time to replace them. I can give you the Part Number . . . . they're available on eBay.

Meanwhile, a little grease may help you for this winter.

The skid adjustment is what is typically used to level the machine on your driveway.

I've had a similar machine for 8 years, and just this Summer, flipped the skids over for the 1st time. Given that they have four (4) positions, the same skid shoes will last me nearly 30 years !

Were yours really worn out ?

Old 12-04-15, 09:50 AM
My skids are metal and have only one side for wear.

https://jet.com/product/detail/1e35a...FQkxaQodKV0NUg

I can't really use the skids to adjust it to be level since one side sits high. I can't adjust the side touching the ground enough to bring the high side down. The reason I had to replace the shoes is the low side had worn through while the high side still had plenty of wear to go. Same on the scraper. The machine is just sitting at an angle. I was hoping that fixing the play in the axle would set it level. I can twist/push the front end so it sits level but it won't stay that way.

- Peter

edit: I think the bushings are brass from the looks of the parts diagram.

Last edited by pjaffe; 12-04-15 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added comment about bushings.
Old 12-05-15, 06:42 AM
You're right . . . . those bushings/bearings were bronze (or brass) on your machine (mine are plastic - polypropylene) but they're currently available on eBay:

2 Pack Genuine MTD 941 0598 Hex Flange Bearing Cub Cadet Craftsman Troy Bilt | eBay

They look to be identical to my polypropylene bushings which are about 1/3 the price.

Does your machine support the newer skid shoes that can be flipped from side to side and bottom up/top down (to give you four wear surfaces) ?