Where is the Fuel Pump on my 16 hp Vanguard????

Old 12-08-15, 03:00 PM
Where is the Fuel Pump on my 16 hp Vanguard????

Now I'm not to swift of fixing, but my motor would not start.. Fellow came over he turned key and spray starter fluid and it started long as he was spraying.. He then put his finger over the small hole on the middle of the carb it kept running.. He said sounds like a fuel pump to me.. So I got into it to change it.... He told me follow the hose it goes to the fuel pump then to carb.. Take pump off go buy one..

I did but the hose goes from tank to a shut off then to the bottom of the carb..
Somebody tell me where the fuel pump is?? got to be here somewhere.. I googled a pic of one for this but dont see it no wheres..

What else needs fixing on it to start.. I got a call on a pretty good job need to get going..
I live so far out of town. time I pull it to town they keep it a week..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-15, 03:12 PM
Follow the hose from the fuel tank. If your engine has a fuel pump (may not with top mounted tank) the hose from the tank will go to the fuel pump, then hose from there to carb. There will be a third hose that picks up manifold vacuum that operates the pump. Usually black or silver with three hoses. If you post the model no of the engine that would help us be more specific.

Old 12-08-15, 03:56 PM
I have to agree.
Far more likely the carb. just needs to be removed and cleaned or better yet rebuilt.
Start using nonethenal fuel for far less issues.
If the line runs from the tank to the filter to the carb. with nothing else there is no pump.

Old 12-08-15, 04:03 PM
I do use nonethenal in all my small engines.. I sure did not see no pump..

Old 12-08-15, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Going by your second picture your fuel tank is located above the engine. In that case you would not have a fuel pump. The gas flows by gravity down to the carburetor. Another clue is the shutoff valve. There are typically shutoffs on engines with a gravity fuel system as a shutoff isn't generally needed with a fuel pump.

Now, if your "fellow" couldn't see that then I would seriously question his recommendation. I agree with Carbide and Joe that you probably have a carburetor problem, not a "fuel pump" problem.

Old 12-09-15, 04:52 AM
fuel pump

Also, is it possible your carb has an electric fuel shut off solenoid? It can stick or be burned out, or the power to it could be missing. Good luck, Steve

Old 12-09-15, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
The fuel shutoff or anti after fire solenoid, if you have one, will be the only thing on the carburetor with a wire going to it. It's a little electric solenoid. There is a plunger inside that moves in and out to block off the flow of fuel to the main jet. They are inexpensive and easy to replace. An emergency fix is to manually pull out the plunger and snip or cut off the end. If you cut it then you may have backfiring when you shut the engine down.

Old 12-09-15, 08:33 AM
I think he was getting fuel . . . . just not enough of it.

When his Neighbor held his thumb over the throat of the Carburetor, reducing the amount of air in the air/fuel ratio, it ran, as if it were being choked (it was).

I think he just has a partially blocked fuel line/needle valve . . . . did anyone see a Fuel Filter on that rig ?

Old 12-09-15, 08:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess
He then put his finger over the small hole on the middle of the carb it kept running
is a bit confusing but might be just like Vermont mentioned.

Fuel solenoid is also a good catch and I did notice a key switch in the photo so should be a battery which the solenoid would require.

I don't see a filter either nor where the fuel line connects to the tank, but, that is not uncommon in this application or configuration.

Adding pics is always great but still not a substitute for model #'s.

I do imagine that a decent cleaning of the carb will cure the issue.

Old 12-09-15, 02:26 PM
YEP that was it, he took it apart, there was crud all in in. He spray cleaned it. Took OUT the jets cleaned it.. Put it all back together.. It fired RIGHT UP.. He told me from now on you cut off the gas flow OFF let it die that run the gas out of the carburetor.. So all is well Thanks for all the input.