Sears generator engine servicing

Old 12-12-15, 06:56 PM
Sears generator engine servicing

I have a 580.3150-1 That a friend picked up as junk. He got it running but the sump gasket leaks a lil bit.

Has any one taken apart this before. Some jennys you have to take apart the jenny and then unbolt it from the sump cover first. Then the bolts are inside to take it off. This one was made in the early 70s.

Not before my time but before I was working on them !!

I am pretty sure it's a hm 60 6 hp Tecumseh on it that's all that sears used back then and I do know it's a Generac Jenny on it !!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-15, 04:32 AM
Hello BoudreauxEunice,

Yes, all generator heads (unless belt driven) must be removed before the engine side/sump cover can be removed.

A couple pointers;

If it's a brush type gen-set, always remove the brush holder assembly first to reduce chances of brush damage.

To remove the rotor from the engine crankshaft (tapered key-less fit), loosen the rotor thru bolt then remove the recoil assembly or flywheel cover. Put the correct size socket on the flywheel retaining nut/bolt then smack it with a hammer, the rotor will pop right off....

Good Luck

Old 12-13-15, 06:24 PM
Thanks tech.

I thought so on the brushes also. I found out today at my radio show that 2 people tried to split it already. I haven't looked at it good yet. My wife cooked during my show and our friends showed up and informed me on the " I couldn't get it apart situation"

Thanks ~!~!

Search this Thread