Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Looking for lawn mower that can also vacuum and mulch leaves

MD

12-27-15, 10:12 AM   #1  
Looking for lawn mower that can also vacuum and mulch leaves

Hello,

I have a medium sized yard (~0.6 acres), with quite a few trees. Up until now I've been using a reel lawn mower to cut my grass and a toro electric leaf blower-vacuum (I put the shredded leaves in paper bags) to remove dead leaves from the yard. It's not the most efficient setup I guess is what you could say. The 'picking up the leaves' part in particular is what is the most time consuming... Cutting the grass with the reel lawn-mower does not really take a very long time, however it's not always very efficient because even if I am careful to have it properly setup it doesn't always cut 100% of the grass on the first pass...

I'm looking to buy a gas-powered, self-propelled lawn mower (not a tractor or ride-on lawn mower, just the kind you walk behind - budget reasons). One thing that is very important to me is to be able to use it for both cutting the grass AND picking up and shredding the leaves, to save myself some time in the Fall and pick up the leaves more efficiently. So I need it to be able to mulch as well as bag (grass clippings, shredded leaves...). I was hoping that someone here could recommend a good model for me.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-27-15, 11:10 AM   #2  
The Honda Harmony is a good mower for your requirements. I recommend the NeXite deck models. (basically a plastic deck)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MD

12-27-15, 11:44 AM   #3  
Thanks! Is this what you're thinking of? With the 4-in-1 versamow system?

VA

12-27-15, 04:46 PM   #4  
I have a Craftsman 21" with an Eger One B&S motor, electric start, self propelled that starts first pull.

Group Moderator

WI

12-28-15, 09:19 AM   #5  
Not what you asked but I mulch the leaves instead of bagging them - whole lot less work.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

12-28-15, 09:28 AM   #6  
For what you asked, Cheese recommended the perfect machine. Honda engines are almost "bulletproof" and the no rust out deck is icing on the cake.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-28-15, 09:37 AM   #7  
My Harmony is about 15 years old and is still going strong. Change oil every year, clean the deck and sharpen blade. Have bought a set of blades 3 times. Best mower I have ever had. I want a new one but cannot justify it.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

MD

12-28-15, 11:46 AM   #8  
Thank you. I can't really find the Honda Harmony line as a new model, but I think what is suggested is the Honda HRX line, which looks like it'd work pretty well.

What I'm wondering (in response to an earlier poster) is if I mulch the leaves with the mower, how finely are they ground? Do I need the HRX line with the versamow system or is just mulching them sufficient?

Thanks!

LA

12-28-15, 12:13 PM   #9  
here is a link to what you might need. A friend of mine has one and it is perfect for everything he does ~!~!

Honda Self-Propelled Mower 160cc Honda GCV Engine, 21in. Deck, Model# HRR216K9VKA | Walk-Behind Mowers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-28-15, 05:58 PM   #10  
Yeah, I should have known they weren't called harmony anymore, I forgot. Something along this line: https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...47132900419401

The microcut blade system works great for bagging and mulching. You might find that you don't need to bag at all. When you do decide to bag, you won't have to dump the bag as often because it chops the leaves up so finely that they really pack in the bag well instead of having to dump the bag after one pass through a heavy leaf covered area.

God bless!

Group Moderator

WI

12-29-15, 07:08 AM   #11  
As long as the leaves are dry, they mulch to almost powder. I can mow when the leaves are thick enough I can't see the grass and end up with very little material still showing on top of the lawn when I'm done.

MD

12-29-15, 07:29 AM   #12  
Thanks stickshift. So I guess to sum it up: with the more expensive HRR line, you can mulch AND bag at the same time (the 'in-between' positions between bag and mulch ensure that grass and leaves are finely chopped before being let into the bag - if you still want to bag, at least in some areas, but you want to minimize the time wasted emptying the bag), whereas with the less expensive HRR line you can do one or the other, but not both at the same time... is that correct?

Also, HRR has 160 cc engine and steel deck, HRX has 190 cc and nexite deck...

Looks like the price difference is roughly $200 between similar models from each line...

MI

12-29-15, 07:32 AM   #13  
I have a Toro rider, 52" deck, and mow several acres, so understand it's different, but have to believe that they make push mowers that will provide the same results. Mine came with a standard side discharge deck, so I put what Toro calls a recycler kit on it about 15 years or so ago, which encloses the blades, eliminating the side discharge, and uses blades with a higher sail, and we haven't burned, hauled, nor bagged a leaf since. We rake and/or blow them from under bushes, etc. into the yard, and I just run over the leaves from the trees as well as dead flower leaves and stalks. The main thing is, as mentioned, it works best when they're dry. And the pieces it leaves are so small that there is no need to bag.

MD

12-29-15, 09:33 AM   #14  
So basically that versamow 4-in-1 system in the HRX line is nice but you can shred your leaves really well without it is what you're saying?

I think they (Honda) label their HRX as the only line being able to mulch leaves. Maybe the 190 cc vs the 160 cc has more power to do the job?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-29-15, 12:14 PM   #15  
I don't know of any walk behind mower that mulches as well as the hondas with the micro cut system. Add honda reliability to that and there isn't much comparison. There are some Kawasaki powered John Deeres that are close in quality, but you'll be forking out nearly a grand for one and I don't think they mulch as well.

God bless!

Search this Thread