Fuel supply - line filter question

Old 12-29-15, 01:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel supply - line filter question

I put new fuel lines and a new fuel filter on my 10HP MAXA 5000 generator. The fuel filter is the clear plastic type with a little paper type filter (got it at a yard equipment service center... they said it's a standard replacement).

Now the question: With the fuel valve open there's barely a trickle going into the filter. With the engine running at no load, there's barely any fuel level in the filter (I have it so it's a vertical drop from the tank). With the engine at a 1350W load the fuel barely keeps up (occasional engine miss). With the engine at a 2700W load the fuel doesn't really keep up (lots of engine miss).

Suspected clogged filter in the fuel tank.. I basically poked the screen out leaving nothing but a hole to the shutoff valve, (no apparent difference). Removed the shutoff valve valve stem and verified no blockage to the fuel line.

What am I missing here???

Old 12-29-15, 01:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Is the cap also a vent? It sounds like air isn't entering the tank.

Old 12-29-15, 10:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
With the fuel line disconnectedfrom the carb, how well does it flow from the fuel line?

Old 12-30-15, 04:26 AM
S
Having the fuel tank cap removed makes no difference and disconnecting from the carb and draining the tank into a can has the same minimal flow.

Old 12-30-15, 06:21 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Did you blow that line out, in reverse of the flow, while it was disconnected ?

Old 12-30-15, 06:49 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If everything is disconnected from the tank itself, what happens? Could it be possible that they sold you the wrong line & that it's collapsing inside where you can't see it? Does the filter that you bought have an arrow that points to the carb?

Old 12-30-15, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It doesn't really sound like a fuel flow issue to me. It is common to not see much fuel in those filters especially when running. Also, I imagine you have a fuel bowl and it doesn't take that much flow to keep the bowl full to the float level.
Fuel flow problem should cause more of a dying engine then come back to life, more than missing.
If the engine is OHV, might check the valve adjustments. Possibly a carb/debris/dirt problem also.

A good point though that was mentioned about the filter, it should have an arrow indicating flow direction, make sure that is oriented correctly. Also having the correct type of fuel line.

Old 12-30-15, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
What about if you check at the line before it goes through the filter? I think your filter is restricting flow, probably made for a pressurized system not gravity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: