Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gasket material for muffler

AK

01-10-16, 02:38 PM   #1  
gasket material for muffler

I have a small gas-powered chainsaw of which for some reason the two bolts that affix it the muffler to the engine came loose and vibrated out and got lost. I have replacement bolts but also the gasket got lost too and I need to replace it. Where I live there are no replacement parts for this chainsaw available and if I want a new gasket I need to order out and wait for it probably quite a while (and I don't wanna wait). Meanwhile I want to use the chainsaw and I have a roll of that grey colored gasket material you can get at the hardware store which is kind of like a stiff thick paper material. It would be easy for me to make a quick gasket for the muffler using that stuff and I would think that probably the proper gasket would be made out of asbestos or metal or some kind of heat resistant material. But couldn't I probably get away with using the paper gasket okay for a while at least, on a temporary basis? Or will it just burn up right away and be useless.

Sponsored Links

IA

01-10-16, 03:39 PM   #2  
It would burn up and be useless. If you had some JB Weld and a pop can you might get by with that until you could get a regular gasket. If you wanted to try the jury rigging cut two patterns from the pop can sides then put a spread of JB Weld between them. Put the assembly in place and let it set up to about 75 % of fully cured = stiff but not rigid. Then torque the bolts down.

AK

01-10-16, 05:08 PM   #3  
ok thanks marbobj. might try that then instead.

Search this Thread