Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Snow Blower, 2 stage, with Tracks, how to remove track drive shaft

MD

01-23-16, 04:02 PM   #1  
MTD Snow Blower, 2 stage, with Tracks, how to remove track drive shaft

I have a 20 year old snow blower, made by MTD, but purchased from Sears. Model 247.885690 This is considered a large 2 stage yard machine.
The short version is I need to remove the 'track-drive shaft' to replace one of the carrier assemblies. I have taken it mostly apart, but unable to slide shaft out - it only moves about 2 inches left or right and I can't figure what is holding it..
Parts diagram is: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...4615-00003.png
See upper right for shaft components...
Mice built nest in housing, mix with grease = bad on the gears and chain. Must have finally put too much pressure on carrier and it slid the snap-ring out of the groove, allowing the carrier to spread open and spit out one of the 3 internal 12-tooth gears. Have removed the spring pin from the sprocket and both snap-rings.
At least I got 20 inches of snow cleared, but expecting 15-20 more tonight!
Thank you all!!
Wayne

Sponsored Links

OH

01-23-16, 05:33 PM   #2  
So you removed 36, 39, and 40? What about the pin in the carrier, #31? Guess there would be one on each carrier....

If it's not that, it just may be burrs on the shaft...have you tried rapping it fairly firmly?

MD

01-23-16, 07:59 PM   #3  
Thank you very much for the reply! Yes, removed 36, 39 & 40. The #31 are just three horizontal pin's where the #29's (12-tooth gear) mount. You're probably right about the burr... I tried rapping a 'little', but don't have a real good angle. Tomorrow I think I'll remove some more parts (#15, #26, plus the chains) to get a better place to pack the C-4 into

MD

01-29-16, 11:38 AM   #4  
Finally removed track drive shaft

First, since the shaft is .625 inches in the middle and only .56 inches on the ends, the carrier assembly will not slide any further to the center, thus limiting the range of movement of components on the shaft.
Second, the two drive chains that attach to the axles appear to have been causing a bind (even though I removed the track hubs and the axle halves had free motion).
Once I removed the housing track (#28) and the two hub assemblies (#6), I was able to remove both chains, then the drive shaft would slide (with a little tap from a hammer), and the entire thing can be removed.
Hope this helps someone else!

OH

01-29-16, 02:26 PM   #5  
Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread