Craftsman 247.889571 snow blower

Old 01-27-16, 05:03 PM
Craftsman 247.889571 snow blower

I have had this blower for about 4 years and have only used it handful of times. Recently while using it i heard a loud bang and the blower stalled . I realized there wasnt much oil in it if any at all. I left the engine cool down and put oil it in. The engine doesnt seemed to be seized up but then is no resistance when pulling the starting cable, I did pull it one fairly hard and it made a back firing sound. This blower also has electric start but i did not try using that yet until I heard back from some others.

I read about the fly wheel key and other parts but I was not sure I have attached some pictures too

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-16, 05:06 PM
Im not sure why i can not attach the pictures but its a 179 cc craftsman overhead valve engine very close to Sears.com

Old 01-27-16, 06:38 PM
Take out the plug, tie the plug wire back out of the way, then put your thumb over the plug hole and spin the engine over. See if there is enough compression to push your thumb off. If not, the engine may be toast if it was ran out of oil. From there you can do a compression test with a gauge to verify the low/no compression.

If you have no compression and the engine is turning over, it would take some major work to get it going.

Old 01-27-16, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Was the loud bang like an explosion or a car wreck?

Old 01-28-16, 06:32 AM
Okay I will do that.

The bang sound was almost the sound like hitting a rock with a lawn mower.

Old 01-28-16, 07:09 AM
That's what a Piston Rod sounds like when it begins seizing on the Crank Shaft and finally breaks away and hits the crankcase.

When did you notice it was so low on oil ?

Old 01-28-16, 02:15 PM
After it stalled out . my neighbor said the engine doesn't seem to be siezed but there is no resistance on the pull cord

Old 02-02-16, 08:25 AM
I pulled the blower out today primed it and pulled the cord a few times the engine does feel like it is turning over but it makes a backfiring sound and does not start I made a video but I don't see how to post it

Old 02-02-16, 09:15 AM
Have you ensured the piston is moving up and down, does it have compression...???

Old 02-02-16, 09:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX2Nn6KBaM

this is video of what it sounds like

Old 02-02-16, 09:54 AM
Im going to have my friend do a compression test on it and verify this piston is moving

Old 02-02-16, 10:31 AM
You should be able to peer into the Spark Plug hole to see that . . . . or if not, try to hold your thumb on that hole while you're cranking, and feel if your thumb is pushed off. That'll give you a clue.

Old 02-02-16, 01:58 PM
It's a little hard to tell from the video, but it does seem to have compression (thought I even heard a grunt from pulling the starter?)

I did hear a distinct "pop" however. Almost sounds like possibly a sheared flywheel key but I am not familiar with snow blowers and don't remember seeing any mention of this happening on a snow blower. Could also possibly be a head gasket or sticking valve or loose valve seat.

Using your thumb over the spark plug hole is a good enough test for compression in most cases. You can also use a pencil or wooden dowel, put in the plug hole hold it firm on the piston and spin the engine slow by hand.