Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Snow Thrower w/ 8HP Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 trouble starting

PA

01-30-16, 02:30 PM   #1  
MTD Snow Thrower w/ 8HP Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 trouble starting

Hello,
My MTD Snow Thrower w/ 8HP Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 would not start after the blizzard in the NE last week. It has an electric starter, and it was totally unresponsive. Also could not start manually. It was filled with new gas but it is possible that there may have been remnants of last year's supply in the tank.

I thought perhaps the spark plus was an issue, so i replaced it with a new one with no luck. I then removed the new spark plug and put about a tablespoon of fresh gas in the spark plug hole, then reinstalled the spark plug. I was able to manually start it after that. i ran it long enough to clear out as much snow as i intended to do that night. (unfortunately i also hit an object of some sort that bent an auger blade but that's another issue for a different thread).

When i attempted to start the engine the next day it again wouldn't start so i went ahead with the same procedure (removing the spark plug and priming with a little gas). It started again.

Now that i know i can get it started i am wondering what the next steps are to get it running properly. I am not terribly mechanically inclined but capable of doing some basics to clean the carb if that is what's necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-30-16, 02:53 PM   #2  
Start by making sure the choke seems to be working.

Second step would be to remove the nut from the bottom of the fuel bowl and make sure all the passages are clear.

From then I'd do a full carb disassembly and cleaning.

VA

01-30-16, 03:47 PM   #3  
Have to agree with Carbide.
Stored totaly wrong.
Fuel degrades in as little as 3 months.
Unless your running nonethanal fuel it's going to be sucking up moisture from the air.
Ethenal fuel will distroy any fuel lines and leave a skum in the carb.

VT

01-30-16, 03:49 PM   #4  
Does that Tecumseh have a Primer Bulb; and could it be cracked and allowing air into the fuel stream ?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

01-30-16, 04:37 PM   #5  
Start by making sure the choke seems to be working.
That must be a model specific to MTD and I can not readily find a manual or IPL without an MTD model number.
However, if you are able to prime the engine then run it with no further issues, then the carb, the gas and all other should not be an issue. The choke or prime system (seriously doubt this engine has a prime system) is not working as it should. If the choke is engaged by action of the throttle, it could be as simple as adjusting the cable hold down.
You can try to choke the carb with your hand/ palm or fingers, or shoot a SHORT blast of starter fluid in the carb throat, and if it goes and runs fine after words, then there lies your problem.

PA

01-30-16, 05:07 PM   #6  
thanks for the suggestions...will follow those...my confusion comes from the fact that it runs once I manually prime it...VERMONT's suggestion of the primer bulb allowing air in seems to make sense asw well.

IA

01-30-16, 08:04 PM   #7  
I believe the primer on that one would pump air into the carb over the fuel and forces fuel up into the throat of the carburetor. It shouldn't let air into the fuel/air mix even if it is defective.

You can get a good idea if the primer is doing its job by pumping the primer bulb and look in the carb throat for fuel.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

01-31-16, 08:36 AM   #8  
As marbobj said, also if the primer is not delivering fuel, the bowl gasket could be leaking or need replacing.

Search this Thread