Poulan 3416 chain saw

Old 02-02-16, 07:02 PM
Poulan 3416 chain saw

Have a used Poulan 3416 chain saw. Do not know history of saw. Saw started, would run about 5 minutes then quit like switch was turned off. Then pulls hard to start but eventually turns over but dies. Play this game for a bit then whole process starts over. New gas lines and ignition coil shows spark. Coil regapped, new spark plug and air filter. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 07:16 PM
Not a word about the most likely causes.
Old fuel.
No oil in the fuel.
Rebuild or replace the carb.

Old 02-02-16, 07:41 PM
See if it pulls over hard without the plug in it. If it does it's probably seizing on the rod bearing. Since it's starting the cylinder and piston must still be OK.

Old 02-02-16, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you say pulls hard to start, I am understanding that the pull rope is hard to pull... is that correct?

Old 02-03-16, 01:22 PM
Questions: pulls hard, yes when you pull on rope it appears to hang up first 4-5 pulls, but pulls. Pulls fine w/o spark plug in it. Did obvious, new gas, correct oil mix w/gas. Rebuilding or replacing carb was next, just don't want to sink a lot of money when money could go towards a new one. Just thought a 16" saw would be nice to have and price was right. Have fuel filter on order. When it ran it ran and cut good, thus trying to fix. Thanks for assistance

Old 02-03-16, 02:53 PM
The pulling hard is just the compression - sounds pretty good. If it just stops dead disconnect the kill wire from the switch. That could be bad.

If the rpms go up just before it dies, it could have an air leak, but it's probably in the fuel pump diaphragm. They get stiff and unpredictable with age. You could either put a kit in it or change the carb for just about the same money.

In looking for a possible leak you can get it running and spray WD40 around the mating surfaces of the manifold and crank seals. An rpm change would point towards a leak.

Old 02-03-16, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With the plug out and pulling it over do you see signs of fuel being spit out the plug hole?

Old 02-03-16, 05:19 PM
Sounds like the engine runs until the fuel in the carb's lower chamber is used up. The carb's upper chamber should be supplying the fuel to the lower chamber when the engine is running. In your case this is not happening and my guess is there is a vacuum leak due to check valves not functioning. While a repair kit might fix the problem, I would go with a new carb (about 2x the price of a repair kit). I say "might fix" because some check valves are not replaceable. Hope this helps.

Old 02-04-16, 02:57 PM
Carburetor cleaned and new fuel filter and same result. Will be looking at new carbs. Thanks again for your help, will post after new carb install.

Old 02-13-16, 06:34 PM
New carb in. Can get to idle nice w/o stalling. Stalls out when throttle is given. Can feather throttle to keep it running but no high throttle.

Old 02-13-16, 09:26 PM
Try setting the carb:

You should have three screws - idle speed/throttle stop, H for high speed and L for low speed.
Set both H and L 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

Set the idle speed so it keeps running. Then adjust the L for max rpms at idle. Then the H screw for max rpms at wide open throttle. Then repeat for the L. Then back to the H for max rpms at wide open throttle. Now it should snap off idle and quickly accelerate without bogging.

Now go back to the H and wide open throttle and turn the screw out to get a noticeable drop in rpms. It should only take 1/8 turn or less. This gives the engine a slightly richer mixture for lubrication. If you're running the saw in hot weather go a little more on the rpm drop to help lube and cool the engine.

Lastly go to the idle speed and adjust the rpms so the chain just starts to move at idle, then back off just enough to stop the chain.

Old 02-13-16, 10:02 PM
you also may have to set the low mixture screw slightly rich to avoid hesitation or bogging when you hit the throttle doesn't take much 1/8 or 1/4 turn richer is typical for a lot of saws.

Old 02-16-16, 03:55 PM
HI
I had a similar problem with mine. I was about to wing it against a tree! Out of frustration, I went up to the home and farm center to see if someone there had any ideas. The guy handed me a quart can of premixed gas. I told him the mix was right. He said just try it. So I popped for the $5, poured out the gas in the tank and put this stuff in. Damn if the stuff didn't work. I don't know if this helps, but it's worth a try. I had been mixing my own gas for years, not like I didn't know how. It smells like it has ether in it, same stuff as in starter fluid.
George