Honda EU3000IU Generator Running Problems

Old 02-03-16, 09:50 AM
Honda EU3000IU Generator Running Problems

May I ask for help? I purchased a new Honda EU3000IU generator about two years ago and fortunately have had little reason to use the generator until the snow storm that left 30 inches in my area last week. In preparation for the event, I took out the generator and prepped it on the chance we lost power. Unfortunately, things didn't go well. Although I had drained the fuel tank last year, I had not emptied the carburetor by loosening the drain screw. When I added fresh gas to the tank and attempted to start the generator, it was slow to start and although it did start, it would only remain on for as long as one minute.

In searching the internet for alternatives, I stumbled across a post that suggested a fuel additive "Mechanic in a Bottle" gas treatment, which did help slightly but still the generator would not run past a minute and a half. Again, looking for fixes, I cleaned out the carburetor in accordance with directions on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhNy2lfJCEE). The cleaning went well, but did not improve the performance of the generator. The Main Nozzle and Jet were somewhat dirty but not blocked. The float chamber however was very varnished. When I restarted the generator after reassembly, the generator ran for just as long as before my cleaning it.

What is unique about the problem however (before and after cleaning the carburetor) and may be a clue, is that the longer I leave the generator without attempting to restart it, the longer it will run. That is to say, the longest the generator will run is when I leave the generator over night without attempting to restart it (it will run for 1 1/2 minutes), if I don't attempt to restart it for a couple of hours - it will run for about 1 minute, if I don't attempt to restart it for an hour - it will run for 40 seconds, etc. It is as if the carburetor is fuel starved and needs to be replenished and the longer the machine is left without restarting, the longer it has the chance to replenish the supply of gas and the longer it will run. Although this makes sense conceptually, I'm stumped what to do with that thought. I do not believe the generator has a traditional gas filter, although that would have been my first place to look.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-16, 10:06 AM
It probably is fuel/varnish related and pretty common with the machines that sit for a while.

The Mechanic in A Bottle I haven't used, but I have always had good luck with Sea Foam for varnish problems. You can get it at Walmarts or most auto parts stores.

Try adding 4 ounces of Sea Foam to a quart of fresh gasoline. Put that in the tank and start it up. Let it run until it dies and let it sit for an hour, then start it again. It will probably run longer each time you run it until it's cleaned out. When it gets back to normal add enough gas to the tank to fill it.

Old 02-03-16, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might also make sure the oil level is full, that should have a low oil switch. Can try running it with the gas cap loose. If it has a manual choke, see if partial choke will keep it running longer.

Old 02-03-16, 10:27 AM
Can you describe how it acts when it dies? Does it run along fine for a while and then die quickly, or does it run along for a while and then start surging and bucking and running rough?

How are you operating the choke?

Old 02-04-16, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Since it runs longer the longer you wait between tries it sounds like you have a float and/or needle problem or a clog. Basically the usual leaving gas in a machine that is not used regularly.

One you get it running properly I would consider running it on avgas (100 LL) before putting it away. It if formulated for longer term storage and does not produce varnish. Then you won't have to worry so much about fuel trapped in fuel lines or tiny passages inside the carburetor.

Old 02-04-16, 09:15 AM
It's working now but there's a new challenge ---

Thank you everyone for all of your help.

As it was, last evening I discovered that in addition to the carburetor challenges there was unfortunately some rust in the fuel tank. After I cleaned the filter that sits at the bottom of the fuel tank with a tooth-brush (an approximate one-inch pencil thin tube that sits perpendicular to the floor of the tank), the generator fired right up without issue and ran with the choke all the way in. I guess the rust that had accumulated was prohibiting the appropriate amount of gas from getting to the engine.

I ran the generator for approximately 3 hours until the tank ran dry and will now attempt to figure how best to handle the rust in the tank. Would anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with the rusted tank? As I guess they say, two steps forward and one step back. This is truly a shame since the generator was purchased not that long ago new and has yet to be put to use.

Thank you again.
Bill

Old 02-04-16, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately it sounds like the protective plating inside the tank is gone so rust will continue to be a problem. Most auto gas contains alcohol so it will absorb moisture from the air. One option is to drain and get the tank completely dry but the steel can still rust. Another is to fill it to the top with fuel so you don't have an air space to expand and contract which sucks in air and moisture but you need to keep the fuel fresh or you're back with stale fuel problems. This is where avgas comes in handy as it stores much better and does not contain alcohol. I run it in all my small engines near the end of the season or in anything that may sit long periods without being used. (NOTE: Never put avgas in a car or any engine that has a catalytic converter or oxygen sensors which is most computer controlled fuel injected engines. It's great in simple carbureted engines though.)

Old 02-04-16, 10:12 AM
I have not used this product, but it gets pretty good reviews. Might be worth a try.

Robot Check