Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda EU3000iu Generator Replace Gas Tank

MD

02-07-16, 04:42 AM   #1  
Honda EU3000iu Generator Replace Gas Tank

This post is a follow-up to an earlier thread asking for help with getting my Honda EU3000iu Generator running after leaving fuel in the gas tank too long, which required cleaning the carburetor. The Generator is now running well (thank you for everyone's help), however having left the fuel in the tank for such an extended period of time has unfortunately rusted the interior of the fuel tank. Now that the generator is working again, I would like to correct this remaining issue so that when I need to place gas in the tank at some time in the future, the tank rust does not foul the carburetor and place me back to where I was when the generator would not stay running several weeks ago just before the snow storm hit the Washington DC area. As this is effectively a new challenge, I thought it might be better to create a separate thread/question.

My hope is to remove and replace the fuel tank with a new tank. I purchased a Honda shop manual from Amazon and the manual makes it appear as if it is relatively straight forward with the first thing to do is having to remove the main cover/outer shell of the generator. The problem comes in with the fact that it appears that the main cover/ outer shell can not be removed without ruining the fuel filler neck seal.

Name:  GasTankFuelFillerNeck.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  34.3 KB

May I ask if anyone has any experience with replacing the fuel tank on a Honda EU3000iu and if so, could they provide their advice before I begin hacking up an important part. Possibly there is a strategy for removing this neck seal that I am not aware that doesn't require my destroying it. Thank you in advance for any help or advance you could possibly provide.

Sponsored Links

IA

02-07-16, 05:40 AM   #2  
From what you're showing in the picture it looks like the seal would simply pull up off the filler neck. Just push it down on the neck as far as you can and coat the neck with some dish washing soap. Then pull up on the seal. It may be ribbed around the shroud, but it should come right out.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-07-16, 07:21 AM   #3  
How bad is the scaling?
Unless it is severe and rusting through someplace, an easier option would be to clean the tank as best as you can and install and check regularly, a fuel filter.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Search this Thread